Rear Brake Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pat

Threads
I did a brake job on my 1992 Landcruiser and I have some questions:

1. When I checked the auto-adjusters, prior to putting the drums back on, they seemed to work as designed: every time I pulled up on the emergency brake the auto-adjust cam snagged a tooth on the adjustment gear and pulled it down (adjusted outwards, pushing the brake pads out). So I put the drums and wheels on. Then I pulled up on the e-brake multiple times (20-30), but the brakes don’t seem to be any better than they were. Do I still need to manually adjust the rear brakes?
  2. There is a spring that attaches to a hole at the bottom of each brake pad. When I took this apart I did NOT keep track of how this spring re-attaches:whoops: . I know that it clips into each of the holes at the bottom of each brake pad, but I don’t remember if the spring tracks on the outside or the inside of that metal piece that the bottom piece of each brake pad seats against. Can anyone help me on this one? Thanks

Did you pull both sides apart at the same time? There is a right and a left one of those and if put in backwards they will loosen instaead of tighten. Also, you should have manually adjusted them to there was a sllight drag of th eshoe on the drum once assembled. That's done via an access hole on the backing plate and using a brake spoon.

Yes, I pulled them apart at the same time and kept both sides separate so each of the adjusters are on the correct side. Thanks for the direction on the manual adjustment. Now I just need to find out how the lower tension springs are positioned: on the outside or the inside of the metal piece at the bottom of the brake shoe housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom