Rear Brake Pads Higher consumption on 1 side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

i have a 1999 LC 100 with 163 K miles or 261 k km.
I changed the rear brake pads two days ago. On 1 side the brake pads were nearly gone ( especially inner side) while the other side the pads had about 15 % left.
The pads lasted only 10 k km or 6 k miles . Truck was drive mainly uphils and downhills to ski slopes.
We did grease this time the retaining bolts of the caliper ( bolts that seem to have inner/outer movement).

pls let me know what can be done to solve this issue. Seems i have stuck calipers on 1 side.

Need to rebuild the calipers. You Have a sticking piston.

It could be as simple as the slide pins aren’t “sliding.” Often folks don’t grease these when they change pads, or they could be corroded. If the pins are good and free, then it’s time to rebuild or replace the caliper.

I had a similar issue , replaced the glide pin or slide pins with new toyota part. Reassembled with correct lube, seems to have resolved my issue.
@2001LC Has a detailed post with part numbers

I had a similar issue , replaced the glide pin or slide pins with new toyota part. Reassembled with correct lube, seems to have resolved my issue.
@2001LC Has a detailed post with part numbers
What did you use to grease the slide pin? Stuff like anti seize freezes just below 30. Not ment as a lube. Make sure caliper grease Is used.

What did you use to grease the slide pin? Stuff like anti seize freezes just below 30. Not ment as a lube. Make sure caliper grease Is used.
But more than likely sticky calipers. I rebuild them on most 80 and 100 series brake jobs.

Brake Caliper guru's - search up this thread I used it to resolve my issue

Pretty sure it says the slide pins or glide pins are not reusable per the FSM.
Based on that and my repeated issue, I replaced them with new ones and lubed per the thread no issues since.

It’s a 6.00 part from Toyota, maybe a little more. I know it was cheap enough that I bought a spare.

Brake Caliper guru's - search up this thread I used it to resolve my issue

Pretty sure it says the slide pins or glide pins are not reusable per the FSM.
Based on that and my repeated issue, I replaced them with new ones and lubed per the thread no issues since.

It’s a 6.00 part from Toyota, maybe a little more. I know it was cheap enough that I bought a spare.
Thank you all for the replies.
Should i start by changing the glide pins and if issue still there go for the rebuild ?

what would be Toyota part number for the glide pins ?

in case of rebuild is there a rebuld kit part # or this is where you need two cylinders and seals ?

Did you look up brake guru thread?
@2001LC has a great thread

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did you look up brake guru thread?
@2001LC has a great thread

View attachment 2435369

View attachment 2435370
Is this thread you pointed out to :

It looks i need 1 pin 47715-60010 and 1 pin 47715-60020 per side. Correct ?
what website you recommend i use that offers good shipped prices. Tried Amazon and E bay they carry Febest Brand.

Plenty of online toyota part houses to get the right part the first time.
Go to FAQ , and search around
The part numbers are correct one if each per side (rear)
The attached thread has a lot of great info

Plenty of online toyota part houses to get the right part the first time.
Go to FAQ , and search around
The part numbers are correct one if each per side (rear)
The attached thread has a lot of great info

i did have a read at the Brake guru Thread. Looks like pins may not need to be replaced as mine we’re sliding in or out easily. My issue is that I have one side eating inner brake pad faster than theOther side.
looks I would only need cylinder kit rear part # 04479-60060

i did have a read at the Brake guru Thread. Looks like pins may not need to be replaced as mine we’re sliding in or out easily. My issue is that I have one side eating inner brake pad faster than theOther side.
looks I would only need cylinder kit rear part # 04479-60060
Yes, stuck piston...

A stuck piston would cause contant rub of brake pad on disc all the time?
If the pins are sliding fine, then yes. The piston is not retracting, causing the pad to continue applying pressure on the rotor. This also explains why the inner pad is wearing more than the outer pad (piston pushes on the inner pad). Just buy the kit you posted above, pop the piston out, and install the kit.

The
If the pins are sliding fine, then yes. The piston is not retracting, causing the pad to continue applying pressure on the rotor. This also explains why the inner pad is wearing more than the outer pad (piston pushes on the inner pad). Just buy the kit you posted above, pop the piston out, and install the kit.

Thank you. The pins are sliding fine but they do have bushings don’t these bushings age with time and do help the cylinders to retract back in place ?

The

Thank you. The pins are sliding fine but they do have bushings don’t these bushings age with time and do help the cylinders to retract back in place ?
IIRC from rebuilding my calipers, only one of the 2 pins has a bushing. That bushing has no influence on the piston at all, only on movement of the pin. You said the pin is sliding, so it’s unlikely this bushing has swelled and seized the pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom