Rear Brake Line route (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All - I just had all the brakes on my '75 converted to disks. The pictured rear driver side brake line goes over the axle between the hanger and the bump stop. Not good at full articulation. My thought is to have a 90 degree fitting that allows it to go down the front side of the axle. What do you think? If I was to change the line, would I run the risk of introducing air into the line and therefore have to bleed the system? Or will the fluid not leak out when the brakes are under no pressure? Thanks

Brakeline.jpg

it will leak and you’ll have to bleed them but that’s not hard to do. just start from the furthest brake and work to the closest to the MC. can you twist in a n place to take the curl out of it. then it might bend towards the front out of the way of the bump stop. one question though is why a soft line on the rear axle in this location. it should be a hard line right to the callipers if think

I'm not completely sure from the picture, but if the calipers are a floating style (i.e. Monte Carlo) where the calipers slide on the mounting bolts, a small flex line is necessary. Rigid mounted calipers (i.e. OEM Toyota) can use a hard line. Either way, being between the axle and bump stop in no bueno. If that flex line has a swivel fitting on the end we can't see, you should be able to loosen it and twist line line the opposite direction, away from the axle, and tighten the nut. You'll still want to bleed the brakes.

Wouldn't a hard line into the caliper make it somewhat challenging to change the brake pads?

I'm not completely sure from the picture, but if the calipers are a floating style (i.e. Monte Carlo) where the calipers slide on the mounting bolts, a small flex line is necessary. Rigid mounted calipers (i.e. OEM Toyota) can use a hard line. Either way, being between the axle and bump stop in no bueno. If that flex line has a swivel fitting on the end we can't see, you should be able to loosen it and twist line line the opposite direction, away from the axle, and tighten the nut. You'll still want to bleed the brakes.
The brake refit was done with a Wilwood kit.

is that the kit from man a fre? on their site they look like a solid caliper so running a hard line to them might work and you could keep it low and in front or behind the bump stop where it’ll stay put better than a flex line. again though i’m not 100% on if it’s solid from the picture. just an idea

My understanding is that it was purchased directly from Wilwood - Front - 1690; Rear 2490w.

this site gives an installation guide for the part number you mentioned. it suggests using 3/16 steel line with a metric fitting. that suggests you have a solid type caliper and if you don’t like where the the soft line sits (if you can get that twist out anyway) then getting a brake shop to build you a short hard line wouldnt cost too much i’m sure. or you could try yourself. i’ve been making my own lines and it’s kind of fun! i use this specific tool and it works flawlessly.

FE055553-C6A7-412F-9329-181D25E3780F.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom