Rear brake cylinders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
1977 FJ40. PO stated the rear brakes had been done about 4,000 miles back and the shoes look good. Since it is a frame off I decided to check it out especially since I could not adjust the brakes (frozen up) Got then off and they are frozen. Disassembled, interior is OK but adjustment end is frozen.

Question for the collective...Looking for rebuild kits so who has the best deal OR is it better to replace with new? I am thinking $15 for kits vs $40 for new.

Thanks for your thoughts.

My son's ('77) rear cylinders were frozen on the adjusters and it took a plumber's wrench and a vise to get them unfrozen. Cleaned all the threads with a wire wheel and reassembled using anti-seize. Also switched the fluid to DOT 5 silicone since I had the cylinders apart and clean. ( Had to clean the old DOT3 out of the whole system to do it correctly. ) Works like new.

Thanks for your comments. I have the adjusters soaking now.

Heat helps because the aluminum has a higher thermal expansion coefficient.
The threads in the aluminum are often galled and need chasing. For the left hand threads, instead of buying a left hand tap , I cut s slot in the steel adjuster screw perpendicular to the threads and it cut pretty well.

Thanks Guys. Good point on the dissimilar metals issue. I have the left handed taps and dies in the tool cabinet. Cruiser Dan is supplying the rebuild kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom