rear brake cylinder question?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i recently ordered some rear pads from my new fave place "rock-auto" when installing the pads, i had a dificult time adjusting the cyclinders. the ones with the wheel facing up seemed to move but the ones with wheel facing down needed some attention, i got my big channel locks and eased the wheel back and forth using pennetrating fluid, i got them all to move feely and adjusted them per instructions here. i noticed after adjustment some fluid on my rear tire on the paasenger side so i assume a cyclinder is now leaking, i want to order some new cycliners but i am confused whats considerered upper and lower? is it the way the wheel is, upper means the wheel facing up and lower is the wheel facing down or does it mean somehting else? does left and right side go from sitting in the vehicle. right is passenger and left is driver? thanx for any info

On the rear brakes the adjuster is also a hydraulic cylinder, they are double acting. That’s why it leaks from the adjuster.

This might help answer your question about the differences

Drum Cylinders
thanx for that info, so the wheel cyclinders are only 2 different ones then , left thread and right thread, u could install any one on any location the only issue is the way the wheel adjusts may be wrong is this correct?

thanx for that info, so the wheel cylinders are only 2 different ones then , left thread and right thread, u could install any one on any location the only issue is the way the wheel adjusts may be wrong is this correct?
you never identified the year of your truck, or if the axles are stock. Assuming your situation is the same as my '73 FJ40, here goes:

Not entirely correct. The rear cylinders on both sides have two ports, one to take the tube from the brake line from the master cylinder, the other feeds the front cylinder. The front cylinders have two ports as well, one port to take the feed from the rear cylinder, the other for a bleed screw. The front cylinders I have bought have a bleed screw in the front port of the front cylinder.

The cylinders on the left and right sides are mirror images, therefore there are four uniquely different cylinders in a set for the rear axle.

I think the upper and lower descriptors on the parts refers to the position of the adjusting wheel, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
you never identified the year of your truck, or if the axles are stock. Assuming your situation is the same as my '73 FJ40, here goes:

Not entirely correct. The rear cylinders on both sides have two ports, one to take the tube from the brake line from the master cylinder, the other feeds the front cylinder. The front cylinders have two ports as well, one port to take the feed from the rear cylinder, the other for a bleed screw. The front cylinders I have bought have a bleed screw in the front port of the front cylinder.

The cylinders on the left and right sides are mirror images, therefore there are four uniquely different cylinders in a set for the rear axle.

I think the upper and lower descriptors on the parts refers to the position of the adjusting wheel, but I don't know for sure.
hmm i was under the impression they werre all the exact same internally and the only difference was the way the wheel would turn, i need a rear right lower but its not in stock but a upper is so i hoped i could use the upper but my adjustment would be wrong, is this not the case?

hmm i was under the impression they werre all the exact same internally and the only difference was the way the wheel would turn, i need a rear right lower but its not in stock but a upper is so i hoped i could use the upper but my adjustment would be wrong, is this not the case?
If you want sound advice in this forum, it's important to properly identify your vehicle so responders aren't shooting in the dark, only to get "the rest of the story" on 40 to 60 year-old trucks may have had numerous modifications.

In your original post you wrote, "when installing the pads". I wasn't certain if you were talking disc brake "pads" or drum brake "shoes".

Post #5 provides the information regarding what differentiates the wheel cylinders. Maybe you should consider purchasing your missing cylinder from cruiseroutfitters.com or some other reputable vendor that supports I8HMUD.

for some un-known reason , you still have NOT provided anyone here on MUD any tid-bit or hint , to suggest what modle year toyota you have with the brake parts issues ,

after you dive into this below , then REPORT BACK anything you like , so the process you tried to start above can actually begin .....:D

kindly
matt

987321.jpeg

Last edited:
If you want sound advice in this forum, it's important to properly identify your vehicle so responders aren't shooting in the dark, only to get "the rest of the story" on 40 to 60 year-old trucks may have had numerous modifications.

In your original post you wrote, "when installing the pads". I wasn't certain if you were talking disc brake "pads" or drum brake "shoes".

Post #5 provides the information regarding what differentiates the wheel cylinders. Maybe you should consider purchasing your missing cylinder from cruiseroutfitters.com or some other reputable vendor that supports I8HMUD.
i appologize, i thought i filled out the signature with model and year. i have updated my signature, sorry about that, shes a 78 fj40

for some un-known reason , you still have NOT provided anyone here on MUD any tid-bit or hint , to suggest what modle year toyota you have with the brake parts issues ,

or

if you even have a TOYOTA vehicle platform of any kind , still alludes us to be frank , speak plainly , but with respect , your questions are as vague as your mystery brake issues un-known model car or tuck ?

- i am personally confused regarding the basic terminology you refer to ?

PLEASE HELP US HELP YOU ........ :meh:

- i am a firm believer in SELF - TEq - Empowerment using TOYOTA's T-TEN Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approach philosophy .......

- i have hand selected the particular TECH video in efforts to UN-LOCK your full TEq potential to help us , begin to help you

- i like helping others here on MUD and you clearly need my help ...... :idea:

- please take the time and MAKE the time to review the introductory LEVEL 1 TEq TECH VIDEO on fundamental ANYTHING vehicle braking systems ,

-its OK to have to watch it twice , hell i watch all my own self-produced and shoot from the hip complete and diverse Teq TECH-VIDEO series all day long while packing folks parts orders boxes

, so i can grasp the full potential , of making the next one i shoot here at my TOP-SECERT NOS SKUNK-WORKS Studio even better and more in-depth , in efforts to help others help them selves .....

after you dive into this below , then REPORT BACK anything you like , so the process you tried to start above can actually begin .....:D

kindly
matt

so soorry for my lack of info, thought i filled out my signature, i have since done that, the rig in question is a 78 fj40 stock everything. i was referring to the brake shoes in the rear. i have no local shops that carry any fj stuff so have relied on ol rock auto for most parts. they dont have the right rear lower but have the right rear upper, hopeing that cylinder will work just the adjustment will the opposite way it should be, is this correct. again sorry for lack of info, i truly appriciate the info given and the time taken to reply from everyone,

so soorry for my lack of info, thought i filled out my signature, i have since done that, the rig in question is a 78 fj40 stock everything. i was referring to the brake shoes in the rear. i have no local shops that carry any fj stuff so have relied on ol rock auto for most parts. they dont have the right rear lower but have the right rear upper, hopeing that cylinder will work just the adjustment will the opposite way it should be, is this correct. again sorry for lack of info, i truly appriciate the info given and the time taken to reply from everyone,

did you find the TECH video helpful ?

i recently ordered some rear pads from my new fave place "rock-auto" when installing the pads, i had a dificult time adjusting the cyclinders. the ones with the wheel facing up seemed to move but the ones with wheel facing down needed some attention, i got my big channel locks and eased the wheel back and forth using pennetrating fluid, i got them all to move feely and adjusted them per instructions here. i noticed after adjustment some fluid on my rear tire on the paasenger side so i assume a cyclinder is now leaking, i want to order some new cycliners but i am confused whats considerered upper and lower? is it the way the wheel is, upper means the wheel facing up and lower is the wheel facing down or does it mean somehting else? does left and right side go from sitting in the vehicle. right is passenger and left is driver? thanx for any info

ok .......

YES this can be a Confusing topic the position of a 4 wheel cylinder system ,

however ......

since yo cannot simply replace 1 or 2 of the 4 cylinders , you must replace all 4 at same time ,

then simply order 1 of each description ......

then you will have all 4 you need

- were you thinking you could ONLY replace 1 or 2 or 3 and NOT have to do all 4 at one time ?

if yes , ?

i can explain why , but its a TOP safety topic really ......

i use these diagrams when i have any dealings with the 4 cylinders sett up , ....

1667013703865.png

1667015793583.png

i use these diagrams when i have any dealings with the 4 cylinders sett up , ....

View attachment 3153530

View attachment 3153551
thanx very much for the reply and photos, i believe my rrr in that photo is leaking. yes i totally assumed replacing the one leaking is fine. ill do a search on here regarding why its recomended to change all 4 when only one is leaking. is it a better option to get a repair kit and repair the leaking cyclinder as aspposeed to changing all 4 when only 1 is leaking? i see the listing for a repair kit, i simply assumed changing the one with the issue would e quicker than repairing it. i can see how this is confusing as in the photos as they are not labeled as upper and lower as in the auto catalog.

thanx very much for the reply and photos, i believe my rrr in that photo is leaking. yes i totally assumed replacing the one leaking is fine. ill do a search on here regarding why its recomended to change all 4 when only one is leaking. is it a better option to get a repair kit and repair the leaking cyclinder as aspposeed to changing all 4 when only 1 is leaking? i see the listing for a repair kit, i simply assumed changing the one with the issue would e quicker than repairing it. i can see how this is confusing as in the photos as they are not labeled as upper and lower as in the auto catalog.

- your current wheel cylinders are most likely original and thus 44+ years old

- a new one is new

- do you think the old one that is NOT leaking is going to be as strong or responsive as the new one ?

no way JOSE .........

.and

- a rebuild kit was intended for a new car warranty repair procedure , NEVER intended for a re-build to a 44+ year old crusty rusty internal cylinder bore !

- it is extremely UN-WISE to try to go cheap here and save a few dollars , when you WILL cause uneven pulling because you have mixed up all new wheel cylinders and old crusty ones ?

- this is the real deal facts here my friend

- i also both professionally and personally would NEVER trust a made in china ROCK AUTO wheel cylinder to a potential emergency applied brakes situation ,

- you would be wise to shop around and ONLY purchase a made in JAPAN brakes hydraulic parts ..

- this fellow vendor @Racer65 offers the REAL MCcoy MADE IN JAPAN ones ......

- this is where i personally would and do go for a parts need like you have now ..

- i have seen 1 too many times ghetto grade china aftermarket parts fail pre-maturely or not fit correctly in my TEq life , this topic matters to any fellow member that takes the time to read the facts i have posted above ..

1667019794135.png

1667020037924.png

1667020056255.png

1667020073662.png

It's amazing how quickly we lose knowledge. If this was asked in the 70s, or even the 80s, everyone would have known the answers. In less than two generations, this has become esoteric knowledge.

It's amazing how quickly we lose knowledge. If this was asked in the 70s, or even the 80s, everyone would have known the answers. In less than two generations, this has become esoteric knowledge.
yes in the 70s and 80s most vehicles on the road had drums. now its not common. most younger mechs i know have rarely worked on drums unless its in a commecrcial vehicle setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom