Rear Brake Caliper Cylinder Boot Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BB

Threads
I am rebuilding my rear calipers while re-doing the rear brakes on my 97, and am having difficulty re-installing the cylinder boot in the caliper. After installing the piston and piston seal, it is a real PITA to get the boot to seat back into the groove in the caliper, especailly around the back part. I've torn up one already using the recommended screwdriver install method. Ordered another seal kit today, and don't want to repeat my screw up again. Anyone have a tip on how to get these in without damaging the boot? Thanks in advance!

Brian

I damaged one boot too.
You need some small screwdrivers and lots of time.
I had to use one of the old boots.
All I can say is "it takes a very long time to get the boot on". Its not much help BUT...I think it took over an hour of fighting with the boot to get it on.

Brian,

I don't know if these are radically different from the fronts, but I popped them back in with a screwdriver as noted. I used an older (duller edges) screwdriver. Consider a couple wraps of electrical tape to help prevent sharp edges.

DougM

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll be working on these for a bit tomorrow. A friend suggested using a feeler gauge blade to push the seal in place. I will try that and see how it works.

You put the boot in first then the piston. I do this once in a while and have no problem. If I remeber right the FSM show how to do it and it shows to put the boot in first(my memory may be faulty). If the piston is lubed properly it should go in with a little bit of force. good luck robbie

Thanks Robbie, I wil try that first before messing with screwdrivers and feeler gauges.

Brian

Got them in. Put them over the piston after a thorough greasing of piston and boot, and extended them out to full length. Let the end hang over past the piston and worked the ends of the boot into the slot in the top of the cylinder. Slid the piston in no problem. Took about 5 min for each side.

I was amazed how much dirt was inside the cylinders - glad I took the time to re-do them.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom