rear body mounts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Instructions were read and followed. All be it seems that not followed correctly.

It seems to me that if the pot gauge is set at 5lbs and the tank gauge is at 20lbs when you pull the trigger it should not bottom out the pot. The air is going out the gun.

image.jpg

I'm guessing this is some sort of adjustment valve.

I run straight line pressure (100/125 psi) to the pot as you can see in this picture just a straight fitting then use a simple valve at the gun.
Use the regulator on the pot to adjust the paint pressure depending on the viscosity of the paint you are shooting.
20230319_154247.jpg

It’s been more than 20 years but I recall setting the gun pressure with the air flowing…not static.

You got this, just need airflow, Jim has great advice above.

What @jmack said. Regulate at the pot. You'll need way more than 8 lbs at the pot to get a good spray. That setup is likely somewhere in the 40+ lbs range. I run 24 lbs at the gun for my HVLP. Your setup will require more. Test on a piece of cardboard.

Oaky, yesterday's painting adventure. Very complex. Have to get on the laptop for this tale

pretty sure its THE BEST PAINT JOB ANYONE HAS EVER DONE!

Let us start with the booth. Got two exit fans and 1 intro fan. Have all the walls and ceiling up with a couple tarps spread out over the floor. Remember that I have only half a two car garage to pull this off and half is taken with the drivetrain and axles. Started painting, moving around and stepped on one of the walls and it fell down on my back so now gotta stop and fix that. I am thinking that this is a timed event so really don't wanna stop and be fixing things, but got it back up so that at least it would not hit the car. Now as I went back to the second coat the floor tarps now had overspray on them and were sticky. I did not tape them down, just laid them down. NOW as I am moving around my and shoes are sticking to the tarps and becoming just a ball of tarps that want to hold onto my shoes every step I take. Now I am painting my garage floor! Augh I am loosing my mind! gotta keep moving- this is timed.

Paint- Really easy to mix that stuff. Got two of those marked mixing cups and used one to make my first go. Sat on the floor with the walls hanging on my back and practiced with the gun for about 5 sheets of this paper(2"x3"), which were then crumpled up and pushed off to the side( not alot of room to be filling up with debris). The paint has been mixed, gotta get going! Only lasted for about 90% of the undercarriage. Gotta mix some more so I use the second cup because the paint is now obscuring the mixing chart. I know though that I have to have more than one more mixed to get this done, so now I have to clean the previous cup and only have the paper to use as a rag. The rest is outside the booth. My garbage pile grows, but I now mix two up, but pretty sure I will need another so after I ran out I had to mix another. first though I have to clean a cup! All while that damn wall is on my back! Hurry up this is a timed event. The paint might kick off any minute! Like Bondo!

Gun- What a killer tool. Definitely can be fined tuned to get the perfect spray. I only practiced with five or so papers soooooo, not the best at tuning. Lots of paint loss but just moved faster or slower to achieve the paint "laying down" on the car. Way better not having a pot on top of the gun (I would imagine), but those hoses are my nightmare! They just seemed to knot up into a ball with every move I made. Damn it the wall just fell down on me again! Now my feet are sticking to those peices of practice paper! I would have like to set the pot down but it wouldn"t stay up right!

I started with the undercarriage, moved to the floor, then the ceiling, and back to the dash and pillars. So much fun looking over and seeing the hose on some just painted surface. If I could just back up a bit, Ahgh, my butt just bumped the ceiling! Gonna just step over here and get this area and Augh rubbed something with my elbow!!

Now I am done and have to clean the equipment. Had bought some gun spray cleaner and that did well then ran out of it. Oh damn it's gonna dry in the gun! Took some paint Thinner and filled a bit of the pot and just sprayed into a rag until it sprayed clean. I guess that is it.

Now after cleaning the whole place up I have some take aways.

Made the booth bigger and more solid. Taped the floor down.
Bought more mixing cups. Ill just clean them after the job so I dont have to mess with it while I'm painting
Gloss black is not the sheen of choice.
Take less on. Paint a section at a time. Just too confined in the cab. Even though I had it turned on its side with the rotisserie
More time on how to adjust gun properly for the areas I want to paint. Jmack had told me about changing settings up to be appropriate for access.

Other than that psycked to practice with this tool and get it down. Everything that was yucky will be covered with Lizard Skin and Linex, and the rest will be fixed with the might Sandpaper.

The Definitly going to paint this Whole car now.

Oh yeah, and next time I will smoke a bowl first!

Last edited:
Oh man, some good memories of painting my 510 wagon GLOSS BLACK when i was a kid…it isn’t as hard as we think it is, but it also ain’t easy to get a nice finish.

🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom