Rear Blower Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so my rear blower motor hasn't been functioning for years and I've decided (with my grand success in the installation of a new water pump pulley) that this is something I should tackle. I'd like to take the motor out and just repair it myself or have it repaired. I've taken the plastic cover off the motor unit and have taken, what seems to be, all the bolts off, yet the metal unit is not coming off. I am guessing that I have to disconnect the plumbing (that comes from the rad via the engine??), but I am completely lost as to how or where to do this. I cannot find any instructions in the manual either. Help??

I have the manual for newer 70 series (Jan.1990+), and it seems the rear cooling unit is hooked up to the air conditioning system.

Is that the case in your model, is it a rear cooling unit?

If so, be careful with the AC gas/refrigerant, you are not suppose to just vent it into the air, you are supposed to get it properly removed, replaced, and tested for leaks.

Anyway, my diagrams show liquid and suction hoses entering the unit from under the car, and they have to be removed first.

Then the cover is removed.

Then the whole cooling unit, which seems to be bolted down through a bracket with two bolts into the floor, under the carpert in front of the cooling unit.

It mentions checking of the thermistor and expansion valve in the same order as the front cooling unit.

And it shows where to test for continuity in the fan electrics...blower switch, blower resistors, rear heater relay, etc.

I don't have AC so no worries on refrigerant. It looks as though the plumbing goes under the car though, so maybe I'll have to unhook it from there before I can get the unit off. I'll take a look under it as soon as I can. Thanks for your response!

Yes, you have to disconnect the rubber heater hoses from the copper tubes under the rig. Then you need to manipulate the heater a bit to get it free as the tubes do not hang straight down.

I've just recently decided to remove my BJ70's rear heater as I never use it and I could use the console space for more useful things. If I can figure out how to bypass/plug the coolant lines I might have one for sale. Just an FYI. PM me if you decide that yours cannot be repaired.

Cheers,
Dennis

Yah, I removed mine for the console space as well. Under the hood at the rear of the engine are two copper tubes that run down and back to the rear heater under the body. I just removed the heater hoses from those tubes and left the tubes in place. There must have been some tee fittings also, I don't recall the specifics, just follow the heater hoses that are dedicated to those tubes, remove them and plug the holes left over.

So far all I have for a console is an ammo can. Have you found a nice console that fits?

And I kept the heater console, it's in very good shape if anyone needs a 24V version.

BUMP! I'm about to tackle removing the rear heater today. Haven't crawled under there yet, but was wondering if anyone knows what is needed? Sounds like I will need 2 plugs and some hose clamps to close off the piping under the truck before it comes back into the cabin area?

Plug the lines at the firewall. The first pic shows where the rear heater tubing use to T in to the bottom of the S tubing coming off the firewall. I used a 5/8" rubber cap plug for that one.

The other pic is of where the 2nd rear heater tubing use to come into the back top left of the head. Simple to put a threaded plug in there. Also a great location to tie into for circulating heater or Webasto as I have.

FYI You wont get the old tubing out without cutting it. Also curious what you are planning to do with the space once the rear heater is removed?

20150411_075906.jpg

20150411_075921.jpg

I didn't get around to this, got distracted by my squeaky clutch!

Here is what I've planned for the area, a custom center console made from wood and then painted to match the interior.

center console drawing.jpg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom