Rear bellhousing mounting bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex Waddell

SILVER Star
Threads
The bellhousing that I bought for my FJ40 3F-E conversion has only three threaded M12x1.75 holes on each side and my brackets have 3 holes. I will likely tap 2 more holes into my bellhousing but does anyone know what years had only two bolts?
20210807_181430.jpg

that would be an 81+ bellhousing, 81+ used a crossmember under the trans as the rear mount
the 74-80 bellhousing would have been drilled and tapped for the mounts
yes you can drill and tap

Would be sure it's not a 3F bellhousing. Those rotate the right side down. Not a lot but the right side of the transfer case hangs lower. Not sure if Tim Hill has an early four speed. If it wasn't a hassle would trade a earlier for later. Switching to split transfer case on a few of mine. Those will be using the crossmember under the transmission. For those either style works.

that would be an 81+ bellhousing, 81+ used a crossmember under the trans as the rear mount
the 74-80 bellhousing would have been drilled and tapped for the mounts
yes you can drill and tap

Paul are the holes the same size in the 8/80+ that bracket used for clutch slave cylinder use smaller bolts? Believe I bought a couple of those brackets from you. Planned just using inserts to use smaller bolts on the early bellhousing verses drilling the holes larger in the bracket.

Paul are the holes the same size in the 8/80+ that bracket used for clutch slave cylinder use smaller bolts? Believe I bought a couple of those brackets from you. Planned just using inserts to use smaller bolts on the early bellhousing verses drilling the holes larger in the bracket.

John, the holes are smaller, can't remember by how much tho.
inserts? nutzerts? or a helicoil?
Paul

Thanks 3_puppies & Living in the Past for your input. I bought that bell housing from Tim and he said that it was for a 4-speed. I believe that the 3F bell housings have a 3F in the casting which this one does not. The threads in the bell housing are M12 X 1.75 but I will need to have a look at the clutch cylinder mounting holes.

you are correct, the 3F bellhousing will have the 3F cast into the top of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom