Rear Axle Swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
jokerwebhosting.com
I've got a 2002 that I'm debating on replacing the rear axle. What years will work for the swap? I'm assuming any non locked 98-02 because of the changes that came in 2003 but wanted to ask first.

Why the swap would help with answers.
The axle housing along with most of the components are in terrible condition. Was wheeling this weekend and a rock hit the parking brake mechanism and broke through it as shown. The rig does have some other rust but the rear axle is the worst part. Debated on cleaning it up but afraid that once I start removing rust I won't have much left...

LC-Rear-Axle.jpg

All 98-02, locked, unlocked, LSD (98-99) LX axles will work but the 98-99 years only have one brake line that is split into two on the axle. 00-02 have two separate brake lines for each side (for ATRAC/VSC).

Is that a pic of the dust shield? I'm not a mechanic.... more pics of the condition?

All 98-02, locked, unlocked, LSD (98-99) LX axles will work but the 98-99 years only have one brake line that is split into two on the axle. 00-02 have two separate brake lines for each side (for ATRAC/VSC).
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. I was thinking the 98-99 might be a little different but wasn't 100%.

Is that a pic of the dust shield? I'm not a mechanic.... more pics of the condition?
From my limited understanding of the 100 series platform it is the dust shield. Specifically called a backing plate and part number 4650360100. Looking online about the cheapest I can find it is $360ish. My thought process was.... why spend almost $400 on one part when the rest of the axle housing is in terrible condition. All bushing need replaced and all parking brake components need to be replaced due to rust/corrosion. With everything replaced that needs replaced the axle housing would still need to be prepped then painted to help stop the rust. A complete axle from end to end with all components can be had from $350-$700 depending on condition. What could be salvaged from mine, like the axles themselves, would be kept for spares. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong? Thoughts?

Can you post pics of the "terrible condition" ?

I would do it... but I'd also spend the extra effort in finding a locked axle and converting the brake line. FWIW, I scored two locked 80 series rear axles from wrecking yards. They were listed as non-locked but when I requested pictures, they had the locker.

That truck looks to have spent a lot of time launching boats in salt water. Rest of the undercarriage doesn't look near as bad from your pics, hopefully that's the case for your sake. Or maybe the axle was part of a marine salvage operation. Looks pretty rough. If you find a complete rear axle from somewhere south of you it'll likely be a win compared to rebuilding that one, you're right.

I would do it... but I'd also spend the extra effort in finding a locked axle and converting the brake line. FWIW, I scored two locked 80 series rear axles from wrecking yards. They were listed as non-locked but when I requested pictures, they had the locker.
I hadn't even though about doing that.

That truck looks to have spent a lot of time launching boats in salt water. Rest of the undercarriage doesn't look near as bad from your pics, hopefully that's the case for your sake. Or maybe the axle was part of a marine salvage operation. Looks pretty rough. If you find a complete rear axle from somewhere south of you it'll likely be a win compared to rebuilding that one, you're right.
That's what I'm thinking.... I have new upper and lower control arms for the rear axle already. So those will be replaced soon. With all that disconnected there really isn't much left to unhook and then swap in a complete axle. To really clean this one up it will need to be pulled from the truck anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom