Rear axle shaft options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I started to tear into the rear-end yesterday (Nov. '69 FJ40) to pull the axles for a disc brake conversion ( thanks @Poser ) and was ready to pull the 'locker' the PO had put in, only to discover it was a Lincoln Locker. Yay.

Add to that the welds were all busted. Time to replace! Ordered up an Aussie locker, only to realize the next day that that locker is fine splined. Should work great with the coarse splined axles.

Looked and asked around, those coarse splined lockers are like hens' teeth.

tl;dr-in need of some fine splined rear axles. Tried looking through a couple aftermarket sites for options, couldn't seem to locate any new ones. Anyone know of aftermarket options that I'm not seeing or know of a used pair that arent mangled in the SoCal region?

Thanks guys (and alohajen)

Poly performance were the only aftermarket producers of c-clip shafts for 40 series rear ends. Not sure if they still make them? I also have multiple sets of used shafts. I'm sure you could find a set of stockers locally fairly easily if you looked around. The short side is the same as a 60 series FYI if you happen to locate them separately for some reason.

@too tall thanks for the lead, was actually able to score a set just now from a local land cruiser shop, Jim Dickeys Land Cruisers in Gardena, Los Angeles. They're right down the road from my work , so it works out. They've got containers full of everything FJ40, and sounds like they're looking to offload stock to pay some medical bills. Good chance to pick up some parts and more importantly help another cruiserhead out.

-Chubbs

Couldn't you just get some coarse spline side gears and run your axles?

As an option to get back on the road, yes. But seeing as the fine spline locker is already in the mail, made sense to see if I could source a set of fine spline axles on the cheap and run those.

My Sept ‘68 has 30 spline rear axles. I was under the impression that after ‘67 or something they all had fine spline rear axles shafts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom