Rear axle shaft bearing journal (to be or not to be) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking at ordering a custom set of rear axle shafts from Dutchman and they offer them in 2 variations.

Variation 1 - Bearing ID journal is machined as part of the axle shaft itself. It would not come with the press on piece identified with the arrow below - $400 pair

Variation 2 - Bearing ID journal comes like it did from Toyota with a separate bearing seat that is pressed the shaft first, then the bearing goes on that separate seat. (Like below) - $800 pair

No clue why it doubles the price to have the press on bearing journal like the OEM did??????

So the question is if I go with Variation 1, and the bearing goes it could damage the shaft itself. However if the press on journal spins it can ruin the shaft as well. I am leaning toward Variation 1 for about $400. Is there any reason why Variation 2 would be a better choice? This is a daily driver and weekend trail rig...not bouncing it off rocks :hillbilly:

Thanks to someone for the random picture to show the bearing journal that I am referring to :cheers:

1638918758829.png

@Drake2

It's my understanding that "Variation 1" was standard on FJ40's up to 7308, end of the 1973 model year.

"Variation 2" is the standard after that.

The price difference might be the extra machining needed to take a variation 2 axle down to the variation 1 dimension.

Drake, I have been working on 40s since the mid 80s, and I have never seen a press on race spin. But I have seen dozens of the later shafts that have worn through the hard face and become instant junk.

im guessing the extra 400 is because they’re actually just marking up someone else’s product on the fatties, but actually have to ‘do’ something (and setting up two axles for custom milling I’m sure takes a lot of time. But I prefer the earlier, removable, replaceable race.

@Drake2

It's my understanding that "Variation 1" was standard on FJ40's up to 7308, end of the 1973 model year.

"Variation 2" is the standard after that.

The price difference might be the extra machining needed to take a variation 2 axle down to the variation 1 dimension.
If they actually machine both axles, going from 2to 1 would only be a matter of an extra minute or two.

Hence my theory that they don’t produce #2.

Not sure what year they changed but the early years had an inner bearing race and then the later years had no inner race and the bearings rolled on the axle. Don’t know the reason for the change but I’m guessing it was simply for increased axle diameter and strength. My 74 has no inner race. When my welded-up spider gears let go and debris took out the bearings it also damaged the axles. Luckily, I found a used pair in good shape. With those price differences though I’d surely go with the larger diameter and no race. At 1/2 the price you could get a spare pair. But with propper diff fluid care you'd prolly never get to use'em.

"THIS" thread is about my axle & bearing change.

Last edited:
Drake2, Dutchman was great to deal with on my buggy axles!

On yours, I would go option 2. Due to fact you can/will be able to always order off shelf items that is same as factory. Vs, having to remember or source extra or having to get certain bearing for the application.

Good luck!

There seems to be a misconception here. I ended up scrapping my stock ‘74, 40 axle because the old and neglected bearings had destroyed the axle surfaces. I’ve not seen that many axles apart… but this is the first time I’ve ever heard of a race on a SF inner axle. I’d not be too confused about going with the $400 option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom