Rear axle service: no new races? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to tackle the rear axle service, and a bit confused about the FSM procedure.

The kit I got from CDAN didn't include races--is the general wisdom on the board to reuse the old ones, or just not take them out?

Thanks!

If your putting in new bearings, change the races, always change them as sets. If your repacking put the same bearing back in the same spot, so it's riding in the same race.

Now that is a logical explanation. Thanks!

I am assuming it is because races and bearings "set in" together as a matched pair?

For complete clarification: I do NOT need to remove the races at all if I am repacking and re-using bearings, correct?

I had new bearings and races on hand when I did the rear service, and waited to see how the old ones looked before deciding whether or not to replace them. I will probably replace them regardless, at the next rear axle service... around 150k.

:beer:
Rookie2

new2mud said:
About to tackle the rear axle service, and a bit confused about the FSM procedure.The kit I got from CDAN didn't include races--is the general wisdom on the board to reuse the old ones, or just not take them out?
Thanks!

Dan can clarify when he returns, but I thought all Toyota bearings shipped as a set. I buy all my Timkens from AutoZone. You can get races there for $6.99 and $7.99 respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom