rear axle removal ..HELP ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to find someone with knowledge of rear axle removal on 1977 fj40 ...trying to instal rear disc set up

pull diff cover
unscrew little 12mm bolt that holds cross shaft in place
pull cross shaft
block falls out along with one set of spiders
push axles in from the wheels to drop c-clips
pull axles

hey Bustanutley, I tried the prcedure that you suggested and got to the point where you said pull the cross shaft out and the block falls out .....it didnt fall out and I tried to pull it out ...it wouldnt come out ...unless Im doing something else wrong ...it is spring loaded and does not want to come out ...and I dont see any c-clips
Help me?

do you have a locker? i just used a cutting trouch and cut them off

Speaking of removing the axle ...

I broke an axle not too long ago, went to replace it and noticed that my pinion shaft pin (the 12mm one) is broken off inside the pinion shaft. This should be fun.

suv8 said:

I broke an axle not too long ago, went to replace it and noticed that my pinion shaft pin (the 12mm one) is broken off inside the pinion shaft. This should be fun.

been there done that, tried all sorts of easy out techniques, ended up destroying my carrier with a jack hammer to get it apart :mad:

suv8 said:

So, i just saw that i have this same issue. how did you get yours out?

I haven't really tried beyond hitting the pinion shaft with a BFH. My plan is to drill a few holes in the pinion shaft near where the pinion shaft pin should be. Hopefully I will be able to break the pin, and get the pinion shaft out. Then I should only need to replace the pinion shaft and the pin.

buy a left handed drill bit, and find some sort of low profile 90deg drill. Once you try to drill into the bolt crossing your fingers that the bit hooks up and pulls the pin out realize you not only drilled into the pin but also the carrier. Get in there with an easy-out, break it off in there. Get pissed, cut the material of the carrier where the pin resides, then go ape-@&@&@&@& on the cross shaft with an impact hammer until the carrier breaks. pull third cut your losses, and get a new third.

:flipoff2:

You can remove the cross shaft w/o drilling, the 12 mm bolt is not hardend...
do you still have th axle in the truck?
if so... turn the carrier to be paralell with the ground, get a good sized drift(same size as cross shaft or smaller) and a 5 lb hammeryou will shear of the 12mm bolt, carful not to send it into the other side of the carrierthen carfully turn the carrier around and grab the cross shaft with a big pair of vise grips and twist /yank it out then the block will fall out an you can go from there ... I know it can be done... I have done it.. ON THE TRAIL.. what a bitch! but it can be done
hope this helps... Dave

Dave West , does that 5150 have anything to do with snowboard company ?

nope... just a little crazy sometimes....:)

this must be a freakin curse cuz i just went to do my rdb conversion, and that same 12mm bolt was snapped off in the housing. I went to loosen it, took it out, and noticed that it is way too short to reach the cross pin. then realized that half of it is prolly still in there. tried smacking it as much as i could. ended up taking the axle housing out from under the car and will try to get it out off the car. or just leave it. but i dont know if that would be smart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom