1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear axle rebuild

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by megolfer, Dec 19, 2003.

1. megolfer

megolfer

I am rebuilding my rear axle, What all am I going to need. Basically I am taking it apart to do weld the perches on for a spring over and then put it back together. What should I change. Thanks

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    If the rear axle bearings have not been making any noise, I would not mess with replacing them, especially if they do not look/feel bad. Change out the seal, and you would be good to go. Tape up the openings, as to prevent any slag or other junk to get into the bearings, but if they are not broke, there is no reason to mess with them, they usually last for a long, long time.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. fjcruiser

fjcruiser

I would follow Posers advice. Don't pull the bearing unless you have to.
    I had the 3rd member out of mine and thought I'd go ahead and pull the bearings as well as the seals. I mangled the first one w/ a slide hammer type puller (don't advise this method).
    For the other side, I pushed a long length of pipe through the entire axle housing and rammed them out (much easier and saved the bearings). These bearing are hard to find. I had to call many bearing shops in Portland in order to track'em down. They may be more readily available through a Toyota dealer though.

4. theferg

theferg

Media:
    You should contact Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters here in Utah. He should be able to get ya a rebuild kit for a sweet price. Oh and when you call him, be sure and tell him Ferg sent ya.

-Ferg-