Rear axle rebuild and parking brake question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to finish up with replacing the bearings and seals in the rear hub and noticed in the FSM that it states "make sure there is no contact with the parking break shoe".

The parking break is not engaged but I notice that there is a little noise with slight resistance when spinning the hub after re-assembling and torquing the hub nuts. I am pretty sure it is the parking brake shoe rubbing - the rear brakes are still off and the noise was there before setting the pre-load on the bearings when spinning the hub and didn't change when setting the pre-load.

I have backed off the tensioner on the parking break as far as I can and still hear it a little but it is better than it was. Any tips? I didn't place matchmarks on the hub and rotor when I took them off (forgot that step). Should I take the rotor off and rotate it to by one stud and see if there is a position doesn't rub or is that pointless? Should I just run it for a bit and then re-check? Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

The parking brake shoes float off the top pivot so one shoe may be not be free as the other and not back off equally. As long as you are as far into the repair I would remove the shoes and clean up the backing plates, lubricate and free things up per the FSM.

I did a little reading in the FSM and research. I think you are right that the parking brake isn't centered and causing one of the shoes to contact a little. By backing off the tensioner all the way I probably will be loose when I re-assemble things so I will do as the FSM says for adjusting the parking brake shoe clearance. I think I have a better understanding now of how the parking brake system works. In cleaning the parking brake components I am sure the I moved the aparatus off center and that is what caused a lot of tension on the rotor and prevented free spin leading me to adjust the tensioner. I probably should have left the tensioner alone and re-centered the shoes but this should work in the end and now I have learned a bit more too.

Firmly setting the parking brake a few times will center the shoes. It needs to be adjusted so there is some contact to work properly.

Reactions: RFB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom