Rear Axle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During the install of my Aussie Locker yesterday, my friend Alvin and I found something curious. On the DS rear axle, instead of three "alignment nuts" there were only two. In addition one of the two had fallen out, or at least it fell out while Alvin was pulling the axle.

I snagged this picture from the FAQ showing these "alignment nuts".

attachment.php

I put the alignment nut back in and we finished the install. Has anyone ever encountered this before? I am pretty sure that this is the first time anyone has been in there, but not 100% sure.

By the way, I have a rear locker. :bounce2: Almost ready for CruiseMoab. :bounce:

Agree - pic please. No makey sense. Those three objects with the lines through them are cast into the ring as one solid piece, aren't they? Could yours be an aftermarket imitation from a previous owner??

DougM

Pics of my rig are not available. Here is another I snagged from the FAQ.

attachment.php

Are you guys saying that the three slotted objects (pins) next to the phillips head screws are 'cast' in there? I am talking about the hub nut that requires the SST tool. These pins, screws or what ever they are, are used to align the hub with notches on the axle hub.

They are not cast. They are pressed in and the DS of his rig only had 2 and one fell out.

After pouring over the FSM a bit, I couldn't figure that they were critical to driving. They could, however, be critical if doing a service on the axle seals and the bearings. You need to line one of them up with a notch on the spindle before tightening the lock screws.

I think they are only there to provide something to grip onto while tightening the adjustment nut. Still not good that they fell off. I'd be looking for new ones.

BTW :cheers: on the locker Ross:bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

Thanks Mick,

I guess I'll buy a new hub nut when I replace the bearings. For now I'm not worried, just thought it was a bit weird and was wondering if anyone had ever seen something similar before.

IIRC the rear hub nut isn't terribly expensive $30-50?

I will say that the Aussie Locker makes one hell of a bang on the first turn. :eek: All quiet now though.

I will say that the Aussie Locker makes one hell of a bang on the first turn. :eek: All quiet now though.

I'm sure Mr Baggins helped you out by warning you 'bout that?:D

I'm sure Mr Baggins helped you out by warning you 'bout that?:D

:lol:

He kept rushing me to go for a test spin so he could see the look on my face with that first bang.

:lol:

He kept rushing me to go for a test spin so he could see the look on my face with that first bang.

He's a helpful chap!:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom