Rear axle pitting - housing & axle shafts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am redoing my rear brakes and seals.... thinking strongly about a disc brake conversion.

But regardless of what goes back, I am slightly concerned about the amount of pitting. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts.
9B08C117-5DB3-4985-B8F4-4B4E41E34A5E.jpeg
4A3D34D6-D6C8-40A1-9F9F-E237F576A82A.jpeg
13941EF7-C3B1-4B3E-A995-1326E4F2962F.jpeg

Last edited:
What year rig? Where the backing plates that pitted also?
Since you have the axel stubs cleaned up and I assume you plan on cleaning up the axle flange oil catcher/slinger....I would recommend Rustolium Red fish oil primer....not spray but buy a pint can and brush on. Two or 3 coats....this is what we used prior to POR 15....the oil in paint will encapsulate and prevent further oxidation.

55C8FA57-C371-4A59-8C9A-C952E883BB03.jpeg

Truck is a 1977. The backing plates are just as rusty. They would be replaced if I decide to go back to drums, but at this point disc brakes will cost as much or less than drums...

I have wire wheeled it, and prepped it with por15 metal prep. I plan to primer/paint later today.

The raises and seal seats seem smooth. I am more concerned about the inner parts of the axle shafts.

Last edited:
Do the same for ends of the axle shaft. As long as the seal surface is good, you're golden.

Truck is a 1977. The backing plates are just as rusty. They would be replaced if I decide to go back to drums, but at this point disk brakes will cost as much or less than drums...

I have wire wheeled it, and prepped it with por15 metal prep. I plan to primer/paint later today.

The raises and seal seats seem smooth. I am more concerned about the inner parts of the axle shafts.

I have several sets of clean (rust free anyway) backing plates from a 68....PM me and they’re yours if you pay the shipping. Maybe one of the other FJ40 guru’s can tell us if the 68 and 77 drum backing plates can swap out?

Mark, that is very generous. I will take you up on that if I go back to drums.

I am reading up on disc conversions right now. Leaning heavily towards doing it.

Last edited:
Okay bringing this back to the top with a couple more questions.

I assume these to be dust shields. Does anyone have two in decent shape to replace these? What is the part number for the gasket, or can I roll my own? Held in place by wheel studs.

343894AA-CDFE-4899-A61C-F78ABE8C4568.jpeg
BD8E051A-839F-4A96-9914-E94F52074D27.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom