Rear axle pinion nut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My plan is to replace the crush sleeve, put in a new race/bearing and oil seal. Tighten to spec and see where it goes. My only issue is getting the race out. I bought tool online that looks similar to the sst that I think I can make work. from the way I read the FSM you are measuring the friction to turn during the backlash. No matter what I do, it will be better than before and it wasnt giving any problems.

If you take the carrier out or mess with the spanners you are going to mess with backlash.
It's not a big deal, just need a dial indicator.
Use a brass drift to remove the races.
If you want to ship a 3rd, which is no a big deal but does cost a little. PM me. We build um all the time in my shop. @wngrog is running our junk.

Justin

Last edited:
Got it all back together. Shifting and engagement is much smoother. I was able to remove the bearing race with a slide hammer. I just put it under the edge and gave it several taps and it came out. It takes a good bit of torque to crush the sleeve. I ended up using a torque multiplier as my torque wrench only went up to 180ft/lb.

Got it all back together. Shifting and engagement is much smoother. I was able to remove the bearing race with a slide hammer. I just put it under the edge and gave it several taps and it came out. It takes a good bit of torque to crush the sleeve. I ended up using a torque multiplier as my torque wrench only went up to 180ft/lb.

For future reference. This Milwaukee 1/2" impact makes short work of a crush sleeve. Just gotta take it easy to not over tighten it.
The other trick is to start it's yielding in a press then finish it off on the pinion.

IMG_20181130_172315.jpg

I love the picture in the FSM showing the guy with a short torque wrench.

Hahahaha,. He must be really strong

I set my front up (first time for R&P work) and used a solid spacer. Really should have taken it apart another time and pulled shim out but I was tired of screwing with it. Went beyond the 250 max on my torque wrench to get preload. Bet I was over 300. Scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom