Rear Axle lock washer not aligned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FMC80

SILVER Star
Threads
Cruiser heads,

I’m going back together with my rear axle and I’m at the point of torquing the lock nut with the SST to 43lb ft. Then back it off and then torque again but I’m unable to get the proper preload of 12.6 lbs because the holes of the lock washer do not align in order to get the two Phillips/JIS screws in.

Should I:

A. Go past the torque rating of 43lb ft to align the screw holes

B. Loosen the lock nut after reaching the proper torque setting to align the holes knowing my preload will be too low

C. Give up because I’m the worst mechanic ever

Here’s the snapshot of the procedure I’m following:

DB14FBBE-9704-4D57-8FDF-1224FD331154.png
Thanks for the help fellas and ladies if you’re out there🥰

Tighten it to where you want it, then whatever amount of rotation extra needed to line the holes up.
Copy, thanks cabledude. Just so I’m clear, you chose option A. That takes my preload to something between 16-18lbs average on 6-9 pulls.

This won’t be too dramatic for my bearings? I might be being dramatic.

what @thatcabledude did is what i did, but i have no idea what my preload is. spun well and i still have no play and i refuse to let you make me start second guessing myself!!! haha

Cruiser heads,

I’m going back together with my rear axle and I’m at the point of torquing the lock nut with the SST to 43lb ft. Then back it off and then torque again but I’m unable to get the proper preload of 12.6 lbs because the holes of the lock washer do not align in order to get the two Phillips/JIS screws in.

Should I:

B. Loosen the lock nut after reaching the proper torque setting to align the holes knowing my preload will be too low

View attachment 2787309 Thanks for the help fellas and ladies if you’re out there🥰
Tighten the inner nut to 43 LB-FT, while rotating, back it off, then do it again to 35 LB-FT while rotating, then tighten slightly until the screws line up. Lock it in.

I used Lucas Red-N-Tacky 2 grease for my wheel bearings.

Just for the heck of it, I tightened my wheel bearings inner nut to over 60 LB-FT and STILL did not reach the 12.6 LB of pull on the tension gauge for preload. There is a significant difference in greases and oils from 25 years ago.

Keeping my WB at 35 LB-FT has worked very well for me. They do not loosen up over time, and they do NOT turn hot. My KOYO bearings have gone over 100K miles already.

Cruiser heads,

Should I:

View attachment 2787309 Thanks for the help fellas and ladies if you’re out there🥰
Forget "C"
I'm way worster.
When all else fails, have a beer. :beer: (or a chardonnay if you have a Lexus! :cheers:)
Best MUD advice ever.

Last edited:
As always mud comes through. Thanks for the replies fellas and the comedy in between. I just snugged it to 43 ft-lbs and then snugged it some more until the screw holes lined up. I saw BIL4MEs response afterward but I think the cabledude and others method is going to be gtg.

Thanks again.

P.S. @clx16 I'm worried about your preload bro. You should be too. Time to stop sleeping and start wrenching only to find out my panic was unfound.

Forget "C"
I'm way worster.
When all else fails, have a beer. :beer: (or a chardonnay if you have a Lexus! :cheers:)
Best MUD advice ever.
Dude, this is the reason why I’m drunk all the time and now am deemed to “have a problem” at work. I work on the cruiser, do 6-9 step 6s, get confused. Drink more. Get more confused. Ask dumb questions…you see the vicious cycle? I don’t see it either.

Dude, this is the reason why I’m drunk all the time and now am deemed to “have a problem” at work. I work on the cruiser, do 6-9 step 6s, get confused. Drink more. Get more confused. Ask dumb questions…you see the vicious cycle? I don’t see it either.
in the "it could be worse" category... :bang:
you could own a bloody Range Rover, and have to fix that ALL THE TIME!:deadhorse:

talk about an excuse for being intoxicated:censor::eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom