Rear axle location... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Anyone done this?

Relocating the spring hangers; Flipping the rear shackle mounts around, and moving the solid hangers rearward seem to be what we are looking at...this rig is sprung-under, running OME springs and 2" longer greaseable shackles...

Have a 2F, 465, and three-speed case in a 1969 40 at the shop, and want to run a Toybox too. The crossmember tube was cut, rotated, and welded back together, but will need to be removed, and remade, probably incorporating a very stout skid plate.

Post up what you have done...

Thanks!

-Steve

reversing rear packs offers 3.5", but with the OME and spring under, I wouldn't do it.

I have seen the solid mount moved back, but it also slides up the frame at the same time....would likely have to space it down 1-2" to maintain lift....and isn't the frame slightly wider too as you move back?

IMO, talk your customer into 2.5" OME 60-series rear packs...all you should need to do is reverse the shackle hanger and I think the "almost" centered pin will give you 3".

What about the body? you cant move the axle back too far without some butchery

I agree with woody, go with 60 springs or 55 springs, they are longer and have centered pins, so moves the axle back and rides/articulates better, and less work than moving the spring mount back.

The wheelbase will be changed, as will the wheel well opening. Yes there will be body work involved, do not really see it being an issue, but the truck has to work with the goods in it, then we will concern ourselves with the sheet metal, so that it looks as respectable as it does now..just with a longer wheelbase ;)

I will look into spring demensions from what has been suggested...

For some reason I thought the 60 series springs were a little bit wider than the earlier 40's...may end up needing to re-work the solid hanger anyway...

Thanks!

-Steve

60 springs are wider than 40 springs, how about 55 springs, they wider than a pre 79 fj40 or not?

All Landcruiser Leaf Springs are 70mm wide.

The Longest Landcruiser Leaf Spring with a centred Centre Pin is the 660mm I 660mm in the rear of 45/47 from 1980.

IIRC, width is the same, but 60's have bigger eyes....may not fit because of that....or need some adjustment.

Not to mention patrol springs also share the same width as landcruisers , and looking at both the patrol seems a lot more rearward bias , just an idea .

Just a thought.....
But could you just SO the rear with some stock 40 or 55 springs? Then keep the front SUA, would the rear be much higher?

Phish, it absolutely would be a lot higher

Poser,
The first time I ran the con in my cruiser it was with reversed F/R springs/SM420/liockrights

You will get weird pinion angles sometimes (pointing down)
But SU you will never know the difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom