Rear Axle leaking oil and water (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after having some fun getting into water I noticed my rear axle is leaking water mixed with gear oil. As it sits parked waiting on a radiator (that also broke because of submerging my 80) I noticed it's leaking from the pinion seal and now the driveshaft seals. So it appears I need to rebuilt my rear axle with new seals. I like to know if there is anything else other then replacing seals and refill with new oil since water got inside. Do I need to pull it apart and clean it with anything else or just seals and new oil?

Thanks!

first thing would be d oa drain and fill on both axles, if they sucked in water than you need to get the water out. you may not necessarily need to do a rebuild, if theres too much pressure on the axle due to being overfilled with water and gear oil they will leak out from the places of least resistance and that's your lip seals. see what happens after a drain and fill, if their still leaking than its time for new seals, if not your good to go

Also clean your axle housing vents and route new 1/4" hose with a fuel filter up high.in the engine bay and up into the rear fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom