Rear axle clip removal ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to get the rear axles out of my 1974 FJ40 rear end but I am not having much luck getting the clips off the ends inside the rear end. Any suggestions.

Thanks

push the wheels inwards towards the diff. That will expose the c-clips for easy removal.

yes i took that out and the spider gears that where not on the axles

You might have to tap/pound on the center of the axle with a big hammer to get it to move inward enough... that is the only thing holding the clips in so that's gotta happen to give them room to drop out...

you dont need to take out the spider gears. Just remove the 1 bolt that holds the cross shaft in. Then slide croshaft out. Remove center spacer block. Push in on axles and push off the c-clips. pull axles out.

yes i took that out and the spider gears that where not on the axles

You should be able to tell if the axle is pushed in far enough just by looking at the end of the shaft in the diff. The c-clip should spin freely.

I had to remove the drums each side in order to push the axles in far enough to free the c-clips, but I think that was due to a limited slip spring pack that was in the way.

You should be able to tell if the axle is pushed in far enough just by looking at the end of the shaft in the diff. The c-clip should spin freely.

I had to remove the drums each side in order to push the axles in far enough to free the c-clips, but I think that was due to a limited slip spring pack that was in the way.

x2 on removing the drums.

Follow up question...

What hold the clips in? Are they supposed to slide freely in their groove?

I actually found the clips of the bottom of the diff when I was taking out the LockRight so I don't have a feel as to how the clips suppose to be. When I was reading about it I thought they behave like regular C clips - the snap in.

Thanks, Doron.

When the cross shaft is installed, it holdes the axles shafts outward enough where the c clip recesses into a hole just a little larger diameter than the clip itself, so it can't slide off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom