Rear Axle Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
missionsonwheels.org
I finally broke a rear axle this past weekend. I've got a spare or two but was wondering if there is anything out there that would be better then a stock axle. It's going in a locked '77 FJ40, turning 38.5's.

Any estimated cost on get'n them cryoed....Recommendations on who to sent them too.

I heard this weekend that Iron Pig may be working on stronger rears as well.

Thanks,
Mike
My first breakage.JPG

Last edited:
Rascall did not have much luck getting his 40 rear cryoed.

offset 9" would be a good option. As would an offset D60 (Jeep J20's I think came with them)

PolyPerformance is working on 4340 rears for the 40, 55, 60, and 62....Not sure if they'll carry them or work thru another Cruiser vendor tho....

Mace said:
offset D60 (Jeep J20's I think came with them)

Yes, but they're only 30 spline. I've got one, and it looks like it will be about $1000 to build into 35 spline with new gears, detroit, and disc brakes.

They're also 67" wide.

If you're not going full width, wait for the PIG rear shafts.

woody said:
PolyPerformance is working on 4340 rears for the 40, 55, 60, and 62....Not sure if they'll carry them or work thru another Cruiser vendor tho....

Thoes are what I'm waiting for.

Here's a link to the Mini and Taco rear axle page

It doesn't say but I assume that is each axle. Those may be a little too rich for my budget. Guess I'd rather put $550 in Long's 27 spline birfs and inners first. I'm sure it's a quality piece but that's alot of coin.....

estimate costs, cost on any set of custom aftermarkets with any quaility, then add low quanity due to a smaller market. $$$$

cut 14b to run both short side axles, 61" wms to wms with standard hubs, 57" wms to wms with CnC hubs. with about 5" of a offset pinion :) but thats just me, spend less money building a another axle then polishing another.

HI^C said:
estimate costs, cost on any set of custom aftermarkets with any quaility, then add low quanity due to a smaller market. $$$$

cut 14b to run both short side axles, 61" wms to wms with standard hubs, 57" wms to wms with CnC hubs. with about 5" of a offset pinion :) but thats just me, spend less money building a another axle then polishing another.

Seems like a 14b and 38's be kind of a ditch digger in this app...

That is a BIG chunk on that axle...

Shave it,

alot have more clearence then a cruiser axle
min have within 1" of clearence then a cruiser axle
time and very little if any $$$

Third width wise, well technically then yes. dont like
this part run a taller tire and still not worry about strength.

38s reasonably heavy vehicle, pushing limits already, even with
aftermarket shafts, what breaks next just moves weak spot around.

something less then maybe it would be ok, on cruiser stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom