Rear axle bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tips on removing these without a bearing puller or do I need one? I can get one tomorrow sometime but just curious if there is a trick that I could do...

Oh, the diffs are in :D both front and rear, so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to install the axle, seals and lockright in the rear and get that back half completely done.

You can buy a decent slide hammer for less than $50. Or borrow one. You'll be disappointed if you do when it only takes two or three wacks to remove one side's bearing and then the other. You'll want to use it more as it is so easy! It's the typical situation of having the right tool for the job making things go smoothly.

I used a slide hammer to remove my rear axle bearings...it took a lot of whacks to pull them out...maybe 50...my arm was very sore afterwords. The slide hammer was good sized too...the point being that (on my 60 anyway) the rear axle bearings were in really tight. I guess that's good. I put the replacement ones into the freezer for a few hours before installing them, maybe it helped a bit, but they still took a lot of care to get in straight.

You won't be able to do this with out a slide hammer...(again Autozone for FREE) those suckers are in there TIGHT. Be careful when installing new bearings that you don't bang them up. I used the old bearing and a short 4x4 post to get the new bearings in half way before switching to a brass drift. Took WAY longer than I expected. The seals gave me a fit as well.

Just be paitient, rushing will only cause you to hit the last seal a little too excited and cause you to wait another 3 days for the rain to stop to finish the project... or maybe that's just me...

Chris

A question for you guys that are having to make such an effort to get the bearing out: Do you pry the inner cage and ball bearings out before pulling the outer race? I take the few minutes it takes to do this and never have to pound on it like it sounds you do. Makes it a bunch easier to get the puller fingers inserted to the right spots too.

overhanger said:
A question for you guys that are having to make such an effort to get the bearing out: Do you pry the inner cage and ball bearings out before pulling the outer race? I take the few minutes it takes to do this and never have to pound on it like it sounds you do. Makes it a bunch easier to get the puller fingers inserted to the right spots too.

Nope, I leave them complete... but with the right slide hammer tool (I have a more $$$ kit than the AZ ones, which do work fine)... I give it a couple of good smacks and they usually pop out just fine... I don't like the idea of disassembling the bearing in the housing but I wouldn't hesitate to do it if needed either! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom