Rear Axle Bearings & Seals. Did I Mess Something Up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changing rear axle bearings and seals on our 1970 for a disc brake conversion. After installing both sides with backer washer, bearing and seal, I noticed that I'm able to move the passenger side bearing freely, but the driver's side is very tight. I can hardly get the bearing to rotate. Trying to figure out if I messed up. I sure appreciate any guidance.
Thanks.

What did you use to install the bearings?

If you just tried driving them in with a hammer, it is possible you got lucky on the passenger side. The drivers side cage may have been slightly deformed. Does this mean it won't work or last, only time will tell.

Thanks Byron. I used a Bearing driver for the bearing and seal. I was planning on taking the axles to a machine shop tomorrow to have the old inner axle races removed and the new ones pressed on. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and order a new bearing and seal tomorrow from Cruiser Outfitters.

Okay. I pulled the driver's side bearing and seal. The large washer in back was slightly bent so I hammered it flatter. Re-installed everything, this time being careful not to pound the seal in too tight. The bearing now spins freely. Hopefully, there won't be any leaks.
Thanks.

Thanks Byron. I used a Bearing driver for the bearing and seal. I was planning on taking the axles to a machine shop tomorrow to have the old inner axle races removed and the new ones pressed on. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and order a new bearing and seal tomorrow from Cruiser Outfitters.

Maybe a small amount of debris fell into the bearing. You can try blowing it with compressed air to remove but be careful not to dislodge the spring on the seal. In all likely-hood it just is a little snug and after the inner is pressed on see how the axle spins before ordering new bearing and seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom