Rear axel leak???? Brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just noticed this yesterday evening.
Don't think it's brake fluid but rather 80/90 leaking from axel.
Have owned the truck since 2004 and far as I can remember, the axel seals have never been done.

(forgot to hit post)

Just got home and checked brake fluid res, it's below the min mark. Was fill this weekend.

Guess I need to pull the rear well off and see if I can find the leak. Looks like from inside the drum.

20171116_105601.jpg

Yup new brake cylinders are needed for sure. That is exactly what mine looked like when I purchased BeBe. If it was oil it would not have the same sheen to it and would not look as wet.

The Aisin (Advics) WCT-011 are for 1985 on up.
I have a 1984, I'm pretty sure they'd work.
There are 1 or 2 per wheel?
$27 per isn't bad.
Screenshot_20171117-202513.png

One per side.

Part # has been superseded back to '81. Same for L and R

dsc_0049_copy-jpg.495702

Question with regards to this... Where is a good place to purchase all the hardware that goes along with the rear brakes.. You know the springs, pins, etc? I know that the special E-brake cable that is on the bottom under the shoes is a specific part but the rest of the stuff?

Rockauto has a parts kit, even had the little snap on washers. Now if that spring would work on my wiper arms....

One per side.

Awesome. Tha

dsc_0049_copy-jpg.495702
Question with regards to this... Where is a good place to purchase all the hardware that goes along with the rear brakes.. You know the springs, pins, etc? I know that the special E-brake cable that is on the bottom under the shoes is a specific part but the rest of the stuff?

I went into my local O'Reilly's auto parts stores.
Brake shoes and hardware (if I have them all) for install was $21.00

One per side.

dsc_0049_copy-jpg.495702
OK, how the hell do I get this outer cover off? A big hammer and a pry bar
1511308982322128386546.jpg

The caveman approach is to use a hammer to hit all around the sides to loosen up the drum. Then you can use a pry bar to get it free.

The smart monkey approach is to loosen the brake adjuster using a flathead screwdriver through the small rectangular hole on the back.

There are also two threaded holes in the face of the drum. You can run an appropriately sized metric bolt in there to help push the drum out. I forget the size...maybe 8x1.25?

The caveman approach is to use a hammer to hit all around the sides to loosen up the drum. Then you can use a pry bar to get it free.

The smart monkey approach is to loosen the brake adjuster using a flathead screwdriver through the small rectangular hole on the back.
Thank you. I was smart enough to have already disengaged the parking brake.
Thanks for the screwdriver in hole approach.

Does the rectangular hole have a rubber plug in it?

I see the screw but I can't contort myself to get in there with the flat head. Plane B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom