Rear air shocks & whats missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first Land Cruiser FJ45lpb. I was rootin around it and noticed that my rear shocks have an air line each that leads to air valves (tire stems) mounted on the box above the licence plate. I have no digital camera to help us out. I just want any info thats out there on these. The Ha Ha Ha Haynes manual shows nothing. The other thing I noticed on this very stock very complete 45 is there are retainers for jack handles behind the seat. I have the OEM jack mounted on the floor under the seat and two handles for cranking that fit into retainers in the back wall. There are three more retainers to fill. One pair is for something slightly larger than the crank handles and just as long and is above the crank handle retainers. A single retainer is much lower down on the back wall closer to the left side. As well there's a heavy black rubber O-ring/band/do-ins thats held down to the tub floor in two places with a steel hook on it for a catch that's bolted to the floor four or so inches away. Whats missing? I'm sure as continue to turn this sows ear into a durable silk purse I'll have more questions and start to provide some answers where I can. Until then thanx.

Tommy:

The three clips are for the starting crank (see the first photo, it's hidden in the pile of junk.) Two of the clips hold the long, main section. The third holds the "handle" part. If you needed to start the engine without the starter for some reason, you would plug the crank into the starter dog on the end of the crankshaft (2nd photo) and turn really hard while minding not to knock your teeth out. My 45 came with a small guide on the bumper for the starter crank to go through, kinda like a little keyhole. Sorry, I don't have a photo of it at the moment. The rubber band on the floor is just for holding the toolkit in place if you had one. I'm not sure what to say about the air shocks, they don't sound like a stock item. What happens when you release one of the valves? Does the vehicle have an air pump somewhere?
Starter Crank.jpg
Starter Dog.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool stuff. Looks like the hole is there under the front clip but nothing aligns to the engine. Have you ever heard of anyone using it with success? I'll look closer tomorrow. What's the KK stand for.

there was a thread recently on starting by hand crank, yes very possible, many beers have been won that way.

air shocks, my guess is some PO put them on.

Yeah, I did it once, just to try it. Electric starters are worth every penny!

The first "K" denotes the 4-speed transmission. The second indicates that it was intented for the Canadian market. If you check your vehicle's badge you'll notice that your rig, given its vintage, is actually an LP-KK, not an LP-B. This information was lifted from the world-renowned TLC FAQ by Rob Mullen. Check it out at: http://www.off-road.com/tlc/faq/faq.txt

tommyt said:
Very cool stuff. Looks like the hole is there under the front clip but nothing aligns to the engine. Have you ever heard of anyone using it with success? I'll look closer tomorrow. What's the KK stand for.
first tip...don't lock your elbows when cranking...i watched a 260 pound buddy get chucked.

Forgot to mention that the starter crank does double duty as the crank for the spare tire winch, if your rig still has it. The crank feeds through a special hole in the rear of the frame (see pic.) The shape of the hole in the frame is the same as the starter guide on the front bumper that I mentioned before.
Frame, Rear View.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom