Rear A/C line reinstall after having capped lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone re-done their rear A/C lines after the system has been capped off so that only the front A/C works?

Full story:

Wife's 2002 suddenly didn't have cold A/C after the first couple warm days in the PNW. I went through all the easy fixes first and when I hit it with the a recharge (pressure was basically zero) the compressor kicked back on, but it quickly became apparent the rear lines had a couple leaks. After reading up on several prior threads, primarily

replacing rear ac lines- 100 series suggestions and observations - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/replacing-rear-ac-lines-100-series-suggestions-and-observations.812405/

I went for the option of replacing the obvious leaking line - the rear most smaller of the two lines, from where it goes up in to the rear unit, up to the connection right above the muffler. Looked easy enough at the outset, not as much rust as it seems like others have dealt with on the clamps/bolts. Everything was going smoothly until I couldn't get the hoses to disconnect. It is very limited access and in retrospect, I should have just dropped the exhaust to get better elbow room. But instead I just blindly muscled my way forward bashing knuckles for hours, with a 19mm wrench in one hand and 17mm in the other. The 17mm end FINALLY gave and I pressed forward with giddy jubilation, only to realize too late that I had rounded off the bolt completely.

We have a summer road trip starting on Friday and I've ordered the cap kit. I really don't want to lose rear A/C forever, but some cold air for 3000 miles trip is better than none. Current plan is to cap and go, but I want to re-run rubber hose lines completely like a couple of folks in the prior thread have done. Anyone capped and then re-ran lines at a later date and lived to tell about it? I was hoping to maybe just cap the lines near the line transition point behind the front passenger wheel well, rather than in in the engine compartment which seems to be the common place.

My lines are currently capped and I'm hoping to replace the rear lines with flexible rubber hoses sometime in the future from somewhere like coldhose.

Definitely do not cut the lines in the engine bay. There's a good spot the PO did it that was down away from the engine bay, after the junction point (pictured below). It ends up being kinda below the passenger footwell. I don't have a photo of that.

The Dorman caps ultimately failed and I went with the Street Rod Guys caps ($70) that fit perfectly on the lines, no cutting required (see image below).

I haven't spent the time to tear out the rear lines and figure out what length I need the new hoses to be. If you find that out, please post it!!

IMG_6396.jpg

Cool, thanks! This is exactly the verification I was hoping for. Makes sense you could cap there, but all the YT videos show folks cutting in the engine bay. If I had more time before the road trip, I just wouldn't bother capping but midwestern humidity would likely cause a mutiny after a few days without cold air in the back seat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom