Rear 40 Bench Seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Has any one seen any good rear bench seats available anywhere lately. I think it was Conferr who used to make them, but I believe those ones have been discontinued. Anyone seen anything similar. What have you all used. Seen any good home brewed ones? Got pics?

OK, working from old memory. A rear seat out of one of the mulitude of mini vans will fit right in between the wheel wells. Voyager maybe, can't remember the year, but if you do a search I am sure something will turn up.

Subaru brat seats are the bomb, you'll have to make your own brackets, they hose out (no upholstery), are quite comfortable, and have Oh, Sh*t! handles built right in...I built mine so the framework bolts into any FJ-40's stock rollbar holes, so I can move em from truck to truck. The factory framework is easily adapted.

$OR also sells one from +4 but that is big bucks.

A few years ago a guy gave me one from a Jeep - just the seat, no bracket. I used a piece of 1/4" x 4" flat bar to mount the front of the seat across the wheel wells and bent another piece of the same bar to drop the back of the seat down between the wells. I welded bolts through the flatiron and drilled four holes in the wells. The seat was easy to put in and out and the drop at back made it pretty comfortable. Sold the setup in ebay last year, so no picture but I hope the description can give an idea for one solution.

Older Montero or Dodge raider ( same thing). I one I used flips up and folds over.

nailbender said:
Older Montero or Dodge raider ( same thing). I one I used flips up and folds over.

they fit perfectly and fold forward. The seat brackets even bolt right up to the ones in the Cruiser bed.

-Dustin

i used a rear seat for a heep, i got it from www.acmejeepparts.com its the standard rear seat ($159.95) comes with mounting hardware and it tilts forward. you drill 2 holes to mount it. the rear of the seat just sits on the floor. i didnt like that so i made a cage for it to sit on and mounted 2 amps and a pair of bose speakers in it and used expanded metal to stop theft. and put a sub under the drivers seat looks great and the speakers sound great. PM me with e-mail address and i will send pics if you want. i also have a caravan rear seat that i would give away if some one close is interested mint condition.
IMG_0407a.JPG
seat pic.JPG
IMG_0509a.JPG

Last edited:
mines out of a 90 Plymouth Voyager, soft on the bum and fits nice!

I'm gunna try an old samurai rear seat. Fold and tumble type. They fit well in old broncos and seem pretty versatile. Dont buy new. Junkyards have some pretty trick stuff if you look hard enough.

lone gunman said:
i used a rear seat for a heep, i got it from www.acmejeepparts.com its the standard rear seat ($159.95) comes with mounting hardware and it tilts forward. you drill 2 holes to mount it. the rear of the seat just sits on the floor. i didnt like that so i made a cage for it to sit on and mounted 2 amps and a pair of bose speakers in it and used expanded metal to stop theft. and put a sub under the drivers seat looks great and the speakers sound great. PM me with e-mail address and i will send pics if you want. i also have a caravan rear seat that i would give away if some one close is interested mint condition.

Hey, I'm interested in your caravan seat. Got a pic? Does it fold? What's the length? Color? Were's Granite Falls ? I'm in the Olympia/Tacoma area. I'm not sure if I get prompts from this board that I have messages but feel free to email me. Might have to do that deal to get on the ok list for email.
I used to have a mini van seat that I was going to put in the rear of my cruiser, husband gave it away. I think it was from a caravan. Thanks.

quoting KnightHawk..."Seen any good home brewed ones? Got pics?"

no and yes.

good home brewed ones? ... no.
got pics? ... yes.

these were ripped out of the '77 when i bought it. they even had seat belt attachments but, they looked more like something made to try and fool the CHP than something actually designed to save a life. i ripped them out so i would never be tempted to actually carry passengers in the back.
PO said he put them in so he could take his grandkids on hunting trips into the mountains. after one look at the belts, i thought to myself " you mean, 'so you could kill your grandkids in a rollover in the mountains' ".
anyways, heres a pic of what i ripped from the back of the '77-40.

Last edited:
another...

Last edited:
xjnation said:
I'm gunna try an old samurai rear seat. Fold and tumble type. They fit well in old broncos and seem pretty versatile. Dont buy new. Junkyards have some pretty trick stuff if you look hard enough.

thats what i got, fits perfect.. folds up nice and small too. perfect, enough said

Wow, MikeD. Those are... um... well something else. I guess if the belts were secured to the truck and not the seat themselves they might save a life. But yeah, thanks for sharing. :eek:

That got me thinking. We should make a collection of pics like this of what not to do in an attempt to help keep some of the bone heads outta trouble, perhaps even save a life or two. I've seen some pretty scary steering weld jobs and all kinds of stuff on these forums.

A centralized location of what wrong looks like would be kind of cool in the tech section. And the safety nazi's that might be a part of the club or just visiting would be sure to give the site a stamp of approval for our efforts. Oh heck just a full on safety section with all kinds of tips and stuff. I'm sure we could all contribute a little here and there, I know I've done some questionable things in the past.

I think I'm gonna keep the jump seats in and not do the bench thing anyways. Thanks everyone.

I put a late model TJ seat in the back (late 90s). Its a fold and tumble will fit 2 car seats and comes out in less than 15 seconds for when I need some storage in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom