Rear 1/2 door options for 1975? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to sort a nice FJ40 1975 with rear half doors without using the top, a Summer runner. What are my best options to replace the OEM ambulance doors I currently have on this current setup without too much drilling and cutting?

203630483_3946964425414407_8928395954227166129_n.jpg

Last edited:
block off panel bolted to the hinge holes

a block off plate would be just a plate of steel or aluminium that is the same height as the tub and bolts to the existing hinge holes

if you want something that opens this won't work for you. and early doors will work, just need to make sure the latch works with what side your spare is on so you don't have to open the spare everytime to open a door.
you will need to drill holes for the lower hinges
I'm not sure about the upper hinges as the upper ones may not line up with existing holes

a block off plate would be just a plate of steel or aluminium that is the same height as the tub and bolts to the existing hinge holes

if you want something that opens this won't work for you. and early doors will work, just need to make sure the latch works with what side your spare is on so you don't have to open the spare everytime to open a door.
you will need to drill holes for the lower hinges
I'm not sure about the upper hinges as the upper ones may not line up with existing holes
Thx, now to search for some early 70's rear doors

The barn door hinges are spaced wider and your lower ambulance door hinge holes will not work with the barn door intact. I ended up with a pair of rusty early barn doors. Ditched the doors but kept the hinges and latch system. I built my own barn doors and changed the spacing so that I could use the lower ambulance door hinge mount. I still had to drill/tap holes for the other pair of hinges, but my rig has really rough quarter panels so I did not mind.

Real Steel Cruiser parts sells a bolt-on tailgate that looks like 1/2 doors. It is fixed in place, but you wouldn’t have to drill extra holes.

CCOT sells an aluminum or plastic panel that bolts on. It’s cheaper but is just a flat piece.

If you don’t want to drill holes you can use a block off panel and make some hinges that bolt into the bumperette holes in the rear cross member and make a drop down tailgate. You would have to be creative on the latch system as well. Another idea I had was to build/buy/modify a swing out tire carrier to hold a panel in place that fills the gap, but then opens with the tire carrier as one piece.

Real Steel Cruiser parts sells a bolt-on tailgate that looks like 1/2 doors. It is fixed in place, but you wouldn’t have to drill extra holes.

CCOT sells an aluminum or plastic panel that bolts on. It’s cheaper but is just a flat piece.
Oh I like this bolt on option. Would prefer not to drill new holes on my tub. This looks to use the current ambulance door holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom