Reaming question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm doing a power steering conversion, and a high Steer kit. I got a TJ Drop pitman arm. After eyeballing things up it looks like it will work fine. It does ned to be modified to an FJ80 TRE taper. A friend of mine has a GM tapered reamer he thinks will work. My question is will it?

Check the actual slope of the taper... I beleive the GM ones are different than the Toyota pitch, I know I have 3 different taper bits, all different slopes.

I was under the impression that Toy and chevy were identical. Although I have no idea about Heep.

Kurt, what reamer do you use for the toy stuff, 1" per foot??

As far as I know GM tapper and toyota tapper are different, at least that is the sorta answer I got from marlin.

I sent my pitmit arm into marlin to have them drill and 1" hole in my arm and have them put a insert in with the proper tapper. They did it for free for me but I bout my high steer arms and rods from them.

My pitmit arm was off a wagoneer, completly flat. Dosn't a TJ have like a 3" drop on it? How tall is this 40? Or do you just have your box mounted weird, like angled up or somthing? My steering angles are perfect, I was excited :) If you go the marlin rout you will need more meat on the end of the pitmit then a TJ has got. I know some full size dodges have a big end on them and a large drop.

bustanutley said:
As far as I know GM tapper and toyota tapper are different, at least that is the sorta answer I got from marlin.

I sent my pitmit arm into marlin to have them drill and 1" hole in my arm and have them put a insert in with the proper tapper. They did it for free for me but I bout my high steer arms and rods from them.

My pitmit arm was off a wagoneer, completly flat. Dosn't a TJ have like a 3" drop on it? How tall is this 40? Or do you just have your box mounted weird, like angled up or somthing? My steering angles are perfect, I was excited :) If you go the marlin rout you will need more meat on the end of the pitmit then a TJ has got. I know some full size dodges have a big end on them and a large drop.
I think TJ arms are available with different drops. The one I have looks like a 3" drop.

It's to tall right now. SOA with Old Man Emu springs.

It looks like the TJ taper is steeper than the FJ80 taper, if that is true it should be hurky enough.

I stopped by the machinist that does all my fixtures for work. Turns out he just did a similar project for his son. But he won't do mine unless I buy the correct taper mill.

So the new question is what is the taper on an FJ80 TRE. I made a few measurments with calipers and estimate it to be between 2 and 3 degrees.

Anybody know for sure what the taper is? How critical is it?

All Pro sez 2º are they to be trusted?
Next question, where can I get a hand reamer with a 4º inclusive angle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom