REALTIME stuck Rim! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brakes making a squealing, slight metal on metal noise, so i wanted to get the wheel off for a look-see. I cannot get the factory Pass. Front wheel off! I have been hitting it with a rubber mallet on the inside of the tire from the front and from under the passenger door, but don't want to break the tire (if possible?). Suggestions?

I would always kick the top and bottom of the rim with the sole of my foot. If that didn't break it loose I would smack the crap out of the rim from the inside with a deadblow mallet, spinning the rim a 1/4 turn after every couple hits. Before you put an aluminum rim back on it is best to use some antiseize on any contact points between the hub and rim.

Chad P.

Loosen all the lugs and place the truck back on the tire. Now push the truck back and forth so it's weight will break the rim loose. I got a drum sander for my drill because all 4 of my rims needed to be cleaned out. They were so bad that the rim would not install flush to the hub unless I used an air impact on them. If one of your rims is like this then most likely they all are.

Still stuck? Loosen the lugs a turn or two while it's on the ground. Then drive down the driveway and hit the brakes. You should be rewarded with a nice PING. I don't care how hard it's stuck on, you can generate a boat load o' torque with near three tons of truck.

DougM

thanks guys! I thought about driving with the 'nuts loose, but was worried about it..i'll give it a try.

new trick for an old post.

I had a rim stuck on the back axle. Tried the rubber mallet and no luck. Set it on the ground with no lugnuts on and still no luck. Then I sprayed WD-40 on the center of the rim by the lugnuts carefull not to get it on the braking surfaces. I let it set about ten minutes and 1 swift kick to the inside of the tire and it popped right off.

rust and gook can both be penetrated with WD, etc. Just (as you said) be careful of the braking surface.

Interesting,
I have never experienced this before.
But now will know what to do.

I had the same problem. I kicked, malletted, to no avail. I ended up taking another tire that I was rotating and swung (tire first) it into the stuck wheel. It came loose after a couple of whacks. I probably try the loose lugnut method next time first though, if I don't have a spare wheel and tire available.

Dang! I'm glad I don't live in the rust belt!

another good way would be to loosen the lug nuts and drive it off the curb a couple times to give it a small impact with the weight of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom