Really Stupid Question...4WD Low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:hmm: Not sure where you got your info, but my '07 LX470 Automatically locks the ctr diff when in low...

That is really strange. I have never seen a 2000 or newer auto lock the center diff when selecting 4 low. Post up a video of moving lever to low and the center diff light coming on, on the dash.

I will see if I can find the Toyota/Lexus documents about this.

What happened to the friend, can he walk already?

That is really strange. I have never seen a 2000 or newer auto lock the center diff when selecting 4 low. Post up a video of moving lever to low and the center diff light coming on, on the dash.

My apologies! :redface: You guys are all correct! :redface: Don't know what I was thinking but sure thought my ctr. diff locked when I drove off road and used low range a month ago. I just drove across a dirt lot and engaged low range and turned sharply and it did not bind.

No worries my man.

And when u lock the center diff, the dash light indicator should come on.

No worries my man.

And when u lock the center diff, the dash light indicator should come on.

I love it when people post stupid questions. I learn from them every time. In the future I will be posting lots of dumb questions because I just don't Know this rig, Please be patient with me.

My Januari 2003 HDJ100 automatically engages the centre diff lock when switching to Low Range. Dutch/European Cruiser.

Yes - it shifted into low and I drove around the parking lot at about 2 mph for a little while. I purchased it only a month ago, so I have not really played with it while in low yet. When I caught him pulling on the shifter he wasn't necessarily wrenching on it ... maybe applying 5-10 lbs. of force and saying 'your 4WD low doensn't work dude...' I'm guessing there's a safety mechanism in place to prevent the tranny from shifting into low while it's in drive?

There is not a "mechanism" that prevents it, it's shaft rotation.

Since this is an automatic transmission, the transmission output shaft will continue to try to rotate as long as it is in gear. As soon as you pass the transfer case from 4HI into Neutral, the TC input shaft starts to turn. When the input shaft is turning, you cannot put it into 4LO because one shaft is turning and the other is not.

If the trans is in neutral or park, then the trans output shaft (same as the TC input shaft) will not be turning and it will drop into gear.

Also, you can shift from LO to HI while moving (slowly), but you cannot go from HI to LO unless you stop and place the trans in P or N. It has to do with gears meshing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom