really quick tire question....no really, its important (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, well I have searched and found tons of stuff on this, but I just need a solid yes or solid no as to if this will fit my cruiser. Here it is, its a 1993 fzj80 and is bone stock. I just got this thing a few weeks back and it was supposed to just sit in the front yard till I start doing the fun stuff to it..ie like the new springs I was going to get next week while I was down in LA area. Anyway, wife wants to drive it now due to it being more comfy for her and our daughter on their long trip to LA. Problem is this, the stock tires (well not stock but from 2001 as the side print says on the tires) are really crappy. Cracking and whatnot all around. I was going to do the spring in two weeks after I purchased them and then save up some money for 315/75/16 BFG Mud Terrians, but now, it seems tires must come first. Sooooo, will a 305/70/16 BFG Mud Terrian fit? Remember, this is stock and now it looks as if the springs will have to wait a bit longer till purchase. So will these 305 fit or is there going to be tons of rubbing? The cruiser will see ZERO off road use till the new springs are put in (when I have no idea now) but I do not want to buy one set of tires and a month or two later want to buy yet another set due to I want to run bigger ones. Can anyone help my out here?? Just need to know if the 305s will fit and wont cause to much rubbing or anything else while at the stock height with springs. Thanks and sorry about the redundent post on tires and if they fit..like I said, I looked up tons of posts but every person seems to have totally different ideas on this. Chans :idea:

Important peoples lives are involved and the vehicle is untested. It seems to me the safer decision is to make the wife use the other car.

Kalawang

Uhhhh not sure about the cruiser being untested???? Its a cruiser, I have had 5 of them and I trust that they and this one are safe to carry my wife and daughter. The question was if the tires would fit or not? Sorry but I know the cruiser is "tested" and it will provide the ultimate safety in their long trip down south, just wanting to know if the tires will fit or not. :confused:

4dmalamute said:
...like I said, I looked up tons of posts but every person seems to have totally different ideas on this. Chans :idea:

why would this thread be any different than the six thousand that you have already read?

this may come across as petulant, but it's the reality of the situation.

your "much rubbing" might be horrific, end-of-the-earth rubbing to another.

Sorry, not sure about the 305's but I put 285/75 r16 on mine when it was still bone stock and had no issues at all and i am still running those tires. I think they are a good size tire for the lift I have. They almost looked a little big when it was stock but the are perfect now.
If I have read past posts correctly the 305/70 is wider but not as tall but when fitted on the same rim it is close to the same size as the 285/75.
There are some guys here who can give you the facts, but I think you will have rubbing issues :doh:

305/70R16 will fit. No offroad = no rubbing.
IMO, 285/75R16 would be better; less expensive, easier to find, same height. Also will not rub.

I say tell the wife to drive the other vehicle and then do the springs and tires together as originally planned.

Or you could re-read the other posts and come to a conclusion on your own as this thread will probably mimic all the others in their responses to this same question that has been asked so many times.

305's, on stock-offset wheels, at stock ride height, will not rub. You can even wheel it if you want. My bumpstops are stock and I have stuffed all 4 corners on multiple occasions with ZERO rubbing.

Thank you to everyone who has given me some advice on this situation. I will let you know how it works out. This forum kicks ass!! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom