Really need help. Spark=check. Fuel=check. Start=Nope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you corrected any timing problems before moving on to injectors? Do you have a fsm to follow ?

It sounds like the starter is cranking over an engine with low or no compression. Time to triple check the timing and pull the spark plugs to diagnose if fuel is making it into the cylinder. Depending on how many times you've tried the cylinders may be washed with fuel which kills compression.

I am a little confused by what you mean by "of the compression stroke." If I set the hash mark on the bottom pulley to 0* is that all it takes? Or could that mean it is TDC, but not of the compression stroke? (I did check the hash mark was at 0* when I reinstalled the distributor.

When you re-set the dizzy, you did verify you were TDC of the compression stroke yes? If so the pull the valve cover and verify both lobe sets over #1 are pointed up/away from
The valves and that the # I piston is at the top of its stroke. Reinstall the dizzy with the metal blade portion of the rotor pointed at 11 o clock as you're looking at it.

on a 4 stroke engine, each piston is at top dead center twice during one cycle. Once on compression, and once at top of blowing exhaust out. Translate that back to the distributor, it revolves once for every two strokes of the piston. So you could be 180 degrees off.

turn the engine, so it is at tic again. I do this by taking #1 plug out and cover the plug hole with your hand. When the piston comes up on compression stroke you will feel the air push out that hole, stronger than the other stroke when the exhaust valve is open. Then drop a long rod into the hole and when it reaches the peak, it is at tdc.

on a 4 stroke engine, each piston is at top dead center twice during one cycle. Once on compression, and once at top of blowing exhaust out. Translate that back to the distributor, it revolves once for every two strokes of the piston. So you could be 180 degrees off.

turn the engine, so it is at tic again. I do this by taking #1 plug out and cover the plug hole with your hand. When the piston comes up on compression stroke you will feel the air push out that hole, stronger than the other stroke when the exhaust valve is open. Then drop a long rod into the hole and when it reaches the peak, it is at tdc.

Holy cow that's great. So simple even I can't screw it up (let's hope!) :D :D :D

One other note... if you followed the FSM to install your cams, the engine should have been at #1 TDC already. If you installed the distributor without turning the engine over, it should have been correct. If you turned it before installing dist, you'd need to go two full revolutions to get back to #1 TDC, as @2fpower outlined.

Another thing.. if you've been trying to start it unsuccessfully this many times it may well be very flooded. Once you confirm that the distributor is timed correctly consider cutting power to the fuel pump (easiest method is unhooking the small gray 6-pin connector behind the rocker panel under the driver's side rear door) and turning it over with the throttle wide open for a while to air things out. Pulling the plugs and turning over is another option but more work.

I'm voting on starter issues or somewhere in that vein - that is waaay too fast & smooth a crank to be under load.

It sounds more like my bilge pump than a motor starter, esp with that smooth tone vs a true cranking & wandering harmonic sound. Maybe the camera mic but really my impression.

One other note... if you followed the FSM to install your cams, the engine should have been at #1 TDC already. If you installed the distributor without turning the engine over, it should have been correct. If you turned it before installing dist, you'd need to go two full revolutions to get back to #1 TDC, as @2fpower outlined.

Another thing.. if you've been trying to start it unsuccessfully this many times it may well be very flooded. Once you confirm that the distributor is timed correctly consider cutting power to the fuel pump (easiest method is unhooking the small gray 6-pin connector behind the rocker panel under the driver's side rear door) and turning it over with the throttle wide open for a while to air things out. Pulling the plugs and turning over is another option but more work.
This X2
I'd recheck that you have the cams set correctly per the FSM, then recheck that the distributor is set correctly.

I am a little confused by what you mean by "of the compression stroke." If I set the hash mark on the bottom pulley to 0* is that all it takes? Or could that mean it is TDC, but not of the compression stroke? (I did check the hash mark was at 0* when I reinstalled the distributor.
Nope, there are 2 times in each ignition cycle that that hash mark hits zero. You need to verify that your #1 piston is at top dead center and that the valve should are closed for the #1 cylinder. That's why I suggested removing the valve cover and visually checking the valves. It's easier for most people to see it that way. Also, don't always rely on those hash marks, a bad crank pulley or stretched timing chain can cause it to be off. Always verify.

I think I may have found the problem. I pulled the valve cover off per LandCruisininMy93's suggestion. Rotating the crank, there was never a time when both sets of cam lobes were pointing up and away from the valves like in the picture.

I think I may have misinterpreted the instructions on this page of the FSM, specifically in reference to 'dot alignment:'

kxaZp

Standing by the driver's side front fender, and looking towards the front bumper, at the rear of the camshaft gears, the dots are in alignment, but they go, from left to right, 1 dot, 2 dot (on the drive gear), 1 dot, 2 dot (on the driven gear).

In other words, the 2 dot on my drive gear is right next to the 1 dot on the driven gear. I think when I set these up I read the phrase, "[c]heck that the timing marks (1 and 2 dots) are in straight line...." I think I just focused on the dots in the middle and didn't notice the dots on the outside of the gears.

Now when I look at the illustration I read it as saying it is supposed to be the 1 dots on the inside and the 2 dots on the outside.

Is this my problem?

Thank you

One dots should line up rotate around the 2 dots line up,

And...that was it! Thank you very much, everyone!!!!!! My dobermans will be very happy to get back into the desert!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom