Really frustrating squeak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HSR

Threads
Hello all -

I posted about a year ago regarding this issue. I still cant get rid of this annoying squeak that i feel like its coming from the right rear. I just got the car back from Toyota and they believe it could be the rust on the front metal shield. I have done the following since last year :

1- four new struts (top nuts have been double checked)
2- New rear rotors / calipers
3- New parking brake assembly
4- New sway bar links / front and rear (last week)

I did ask the local dealership to change the sway bar bushings also, which they advised they were not needed. When i stand on rear tire and rock the vehicle using the roof rack (stationary) i don't hear the squeak / rattle. It's pretty embarrassing going over the bumps. Lastly, when i did pick the vehicle up last week from Toyota i didnt hear it going over a few speed bumps on the way home ....then it magically appeared again. Any other suggestions ?? Thanks guys

Control arm bushings?

Does it sound like this?

Does it sound like this?

This could be it ! So going over bumps i lifted the parking brake a decent amount and the enjoying chirp went away. I'm assuming it's coming from the parking brake .

Oh man this has been driving me nuts too, mine sounds just like that! I've shaken, lubed, clamped, and tightened everything I could see so not much remaining.

Ill try later this week. Sitting at the hospital waiting for my wife to give birth!
Congrats on the kid!

Last edited:
Hey guys / gals hope everyone is doing well. I'm finally taking the truck into the shop within the next two weeks. Came across another issue that seems to be in the front right / center of the vehicle. When loaded on the highway if there's a dip in the roadway i hear scraping. I tried going underneath the vehicle and looking for loose parts with no luck. I also tried the search function with not much help. Thanks as always

Hey guys / gals hope everyone is doing well. I'm finally taking the truck into the shop within the next two weeks. Came across another issue that seems to be in the front right / center of the vehicle. When loaded on the highway if there's a dip in the roadway i hear scraping. I tried going underneath the vehicle and looking for loose parts with no luck. I also tried the search function with not much help. Thanks as always
do you have an aftermarket exhaust? mine does this when turning slightly on dips. Just enough suspension compression seems to push the chassis against the exhaust. Might be something to have a look at

As for the squeak, yeh i tried tackling this the other day, its definitely the park brake shoe assembly. The rubber boot on the diff side of the wheel has a metal plate on metal plate inside it which comes loose over time causing this squeak and clang of metal. The spring inside the brake assembly loosens as a result so you get this chirp and clang as you go over bumps. Replace the horse shoe pin and grease that sucker and all inside the rubber boot. Also lube the springs inside and tighten the shoes as much as you can without causing them to drag when you take it for a drive. Crappy braking system i tell you

As for the squeak, yeh i tried tackling this the other day, its definitely the park brake shoe assembly. The rubber boot on the diff side of the wheel has a metal plate on metal plate inside it which comes loose over time causing this squeak and clang of metal. The spring inside the brake assembly loosens as a result so you get this chirp and clang as you go over bumps. Replace the horse shoe pin and grease that sucker and all inside the rubber boot. Also lube the springs inside and tighten the shoes as much as you can without causing them to drag when you take it for a drive. Crappy braking system i tell you

Thank you sir. I will advise the shop of this info! No after market exhaust.

Do you have a diagram, or picture of the metal plate?

I was thinking it was the front diff bushing being worn out

55A5D0BD-5320-42D8-97CE-68DD15A1C085.png

Do you have a diagram, or picture of the metal plate?

I was thinking it was the front diff bushing being worn out

View attachment 2140205
Unfortunately i dont but very easy to find. Just follow the park brake line to the back of the wheel and it will run into a wedge shaped rubber boot Thats the last stop of the brake cable before it runs through the back of the wheel guard and into the drum assembly. Pull the cable while you lie underneath the car back and forth and up and down and see if the noise replicates. Mine did

I wanted to add to this as I had the parking brake squeak as well. I used the trick of slightly raising/applying the hand brake (one click only) on a rough side street that would normally make the brake squeak. Doing so applied enough tension to make it not squeak, which is a good way to diagnose this as the cause. Oddly tho, after doing this on and off one day the squeak stopped entirely and hasn't come back. I'm still going to have mine inspected when I take it in for her next service but glad to have it gone for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom