Reality Check for (this) Newbie — where is my blind spot for getting an HDJ81 5-speed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seneca

SILVER Star
Threads
I’ve been trying to get a HDJ81 5 speed for years, but finally solicited the help of an importer over a year ago after little success in tracking one down.

Yet, after a year, I’ve had as much success with an importer as I had myself. In fairness, I *hear* things are weird with imports and obviously there are various artificial and natural pressures on the logistics systems and market, but… over a year?

Am I approaching this wrong, or has it always been a snowball’s chance in hell of actually getting one?

Furthermore, the prices for HDJ81s have essentially doubled in the past ~18 months, and $40k for a ~27 y/o high mileage, stock truck feels insane. It seems like I’ve missed the boat despite being on the dock for years.

Is my experience the norm?

You can still get them decent priced out of Canada.

@joekatana had/has a real nice LHD HDJ80 listed in the for sale section.

Cheers

If you want LHD (HDJ80), there's usually a dozen or more of varying quality available at any given time in Europe. If they're over 25 (which most 80's are now) importing one yourself isn't difficult--no importer required. Re: prices, figure for about 12-16k Euro you'll usually get a running, driving project. Over 20k Euro is where the nicer ones start, and they go up from there. Sometimes way up. Under 10k Euro and you'll probably need a trailer to get it home from the port. Maybe US$4-5k all in to get one from a seller's driveway in Europe to your driveway in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom