Real world value on wheeler FJ40 , purists please look away! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going by what I've seen for sale. A few similar to this I've seen for sale. One was for sale for 12,500. It was for sale for like a year. It had a ton of money in it. Tbi v8, nv4500, orion, arbs, etc. Modified ones don't sell.
you want to put some money on that bet ? I get it if you have a 80's build like soa and all the other outdated mods but I wheel/crawl enough to see that people still want modified 40's as long as they can hang on the more difficult rated trails and this one has been on some of those without any issues, the ORI combined with stickies and dual cases do wonders.

you want to put some money on that bet ? I get it if you have a 80's build like soa and all the other outdated mods but I wheel/crawl enough to see that people still want modified 40's as long as they can hang on the more difficult rated trails and this one has been on some of those without any issues, the ORI combined with stickies and dual cases do wonders.
Sounds like you know what its worth and who to sell it to already then. Hope you get what you want for it.

Best of luck with the sale but I have to agree with the $12,500 crowd. Maybe up to $15k if it still had a hardtop or even a speedometer. The reason cruisers sell for so much is in the Toyota parts and legendary reliability. There isn't much unmolested FJ40 left here. It very well could be an amazing wheeler but in the end you still have something that is 60% Land Cruiser and 40% science experiment. Unfortunately vehicles like this rarely command a top dollar price tag.

10 years ago? Perhaps you could tell what you paid for it.

If someone spent that money on a Jeep TJ what would it be worth? With axles, cases and coil overs.
Stickies , beadlock wheels , ORI’s and linking it was only done a few years ago.
Never compare a heep with a lc though 😉

Stickies , beadlock wheels , ORI’s and linking it was only done a few years ago.
Never compare a heep with a lc though 😉
The less stock it is, the more useful the comparison is for value/price. It's like someone with a 1970 Chevelle talking about how awesome the 4 link, wheel tubs and roll cage are for resale value.

This truck ultimately sold for $10K seven years ago and the market was hotter for modified FJ40's then vs, now (FWIW I owned the truck before the seller in that thread). While I hope you are right that your truck is worth more than $12.5K I kinda doubt it. Now if it had an LS with whatever the hot trans is now you might do better. TBI = meh... The custom axles can also be problematic: not many folks are gonna even know what the front axle is let alone if it's any good. Like White Stripe I hope you get what you want for it.

Nick

This truck ultimately sold for $10K seven years ago and the market was hotter for modified FJ40's then vs, now (FWIW I owned the truck before the seller in that thread). While I hope you are right that your truck is worth more than $12.5K I kinda doubt it. Now if it had an LS with whatever the hot trans is now you might do better. TBI = meh... The custom axles can also be problematic: not many folks are gonna even know what the front axle is let alone if it's any good. Like White Stripe I hope you get what you want for it.

Nick
Meh I am not to worried about it , in my head I am already thinking about redoing it less as a crawler and more as a sunday driver again since I already have a HZJ73 crawler that is similar to this one , that is the cool thing about these that you can keep on building it to where you want it to be and how you want it.
I have a LS with wiring harness sitting here that can go in it or maybe a 1PZ or 1HZ diesel ...... so many possibilities and it has been several years since I had a 40

If I only had one of these 2 it would be much simpler
2164F37A-529C-4C5D-846C-3454FF3EA9E2.jpeg
40081245-F195-4BE8-9BA5-232509A84964.jpeg
256C6C71-8B70-44B0-A957-4C64EE94CFA2.jpeg

Seems like your quest to find a value, has been well found.
Lol we may have seen a “Mud” value here which is usually a bit different from the rest of the world.

It will sell. That’s a well equipt 40 and people
Are still wheeling and building these. 10k seems ridiculous. People are buying non running rigs for that.
Cleaning it up and shining it up would make that rig pop and then people would change their minds on pricing. I don’t think $18-20 is out of line once she’s all cleaned up, baselined and roaring tongo

nice rig Joeri!

Love that 73 wheeler!

Last edited:
Lol we may have seen a “Mud” value here which is usually a bit different from the rest of the world.

That is why some people put a high reserve and it will either sell for your price OR give the seller an idea of value.

That is why some people put a high reserve and it will either sell for your price OR give the seller an idea of value.
Don’t worry , I got a pretty good idea about the value for me and I am not to shy to part a complete truck out just to get what I want.
Not in any hurry to sell or even list it as there are 3 70 series with work in line before it so that gives me time to think what to do with it and either put some time and effort in modifying it to where it suits my purpose better and keep it or sell it one way or another.

That HZJ73 is far cooler vs the '40 in current form...even as a 40 guy.

Sounds like a softening of the 40 might be a decent route? Throw 35s on it, some budbuilt (or other) quarters, doors, 40-esque cage revamp? That would actually probably get you the most money if you were to sell too, looking at BAT these days.

Alternatively you could go all in to make it more capable than the 73, but prob would be looking at not keeping drivetrain bits in that case?

I had to dump a modded 40 for a song a long time ago, don't think things have changed much unfortunately.

That HZJ73 is far cooler vs the '40 in current form...even as a 40 guy.

Sounds like a softening of the 40 might be a decent route? Throw 35s on it, some budbuilt (or other) quarters, doors, 40-esque cage revamp? That would actually probably get you the most money if you were to sell too, looking at BAT these days.

Alternatively you could go all in to make it more capable than the 73, but prob would be looking at not keeping drivetrain bits in that case?

I had to dump a modded 40 for a song a long time ago, don't think things have changed much unfortunately.

If I work on it I will probably keep it for a while and my plan would be probably to put a LS/turbo 350/AA to split case in it because I have it and it would require the least amount of effort and that would allow me to move the rear axle forward and reskin the rear quarters and paint it mustard as I have been longing to paint a 40 in that color for quite some time now , might even take out the rear ORI's and put some long leafs under it again , I have stacks of 70 series spring packs laying around that need to be used for something or thrown away but I am not good at throwing parts away

The 40 and the 73 are actually a pretty good match wheeling as we have a wheeled a lot together and some trails/obstacles are easier for the 73 and others for the 40 , the build 80 series axles under the 73 can take a beating better then the ones under the 40 but my buddy was a more careful crawler then me ;)

That would make for an awesome rig. I have mustard envy as well. My old rig was 350/TH350/AA/3spd case, I think split+4:1 would've been a great combo.

Overall my personal take these days is that a perfect 'built' 40 is something like leaf-sprung ~100" WB (or whatever skips wildly cut quarters, don't remember), old school manual of choice (H41/SM420/etc), Orion or spit case (or maybe something more interesting here), cruiser axles of some sort. Motor not too sure, I'm enjoying the 2F in my stocker, I'm sure my tune will change with unsprung weight. Definitely think these trucks should still be built despite the 2.5 OME+33" BFG trend.

That said, my stance is that the days where it is worth chasing max performance in a 40 have come and gone, performance in all metrics these days is too easily achieved, but the old school feel and joy of a 40 isn't.

Just a quick update , I listed this cruiser without the sticky tires or beadlock wheels on Craigslist and FB marketplace for 17500$ and it took 3 days to sell it to the first person who came out to check it in person . Turned out that Mud values are quite different from real world values again.

I did put in the ad that it wasn't for purists or the cars and coffee audience ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom