Real Time Tech: Trouble Getting Axle Out of 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost a year on, and I'm finally getting the chance to pull the diff and see what I broke on my way back from Fall Crawl last year.

I need advice on getting the short side axle out.

The birf comes out but gets wedged. I'm sure this is because I don't have the flat sides of the birf perfectly lined up top and bottom. But I can't turn the axle the 10 degrees or so that I need.

The long side axle is out. The diff is locked (I'm pretty sure - got the solid red light but that was just from turning the steering wheel and driving a foot or two in the driveway). Haven't pulled an 80 third before, but I understand that I need to have the diff locked to do so.

What's the trick?

Should I unlock the diff, and relock it once the axle shaft is out prior to diff removal? Will that cause issues?

Okay, another question. Does the locker actuator need to be removed before pulling the diff out?

I've never pulled the 3rdbut I have removed and replaced the locker actuator. It's easy enough to do whether you have to or not idk. I'll check my fsm in a sec and see what it says and post back.

Looks like a negative on removing the actuator. You just have to disconnect it.

IMG_20180824_215240325.jpg
IMG_20180824_215203646.jpg
IMG_20180824_215422477_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180824_215443946.jpg
IMG_20180824_215515478.jpg

Thanks, Patrick!

Hope you don’t find what I found in my diff !

Well, it wasn’t as bad as I expected. But, then again, I don’t know the difference between normal wear and catastrophic damage. What I do know is that there a no huge chucks missing from teeth.

What do you think?

D2FDD8AD-2113-4135-AF7D-1E5EA79960B4.jpeg
EBE58220-AA0D-4927-9743-19725CC04607.jpeg

All the teeth on the ring hear have that scoring on the mating surface.

Didn’t take it apart, but here’s a shot of the pinion. What looks like a dab of grease at the end of each tooth is actually almost like a bit of slag. If that’s not normal, then Did I shave and then melt a bit off each tooth and then deposited it on the nose end surface?

4199AABB-8ECC-454F-8906-4B528F373987.jpeg
486B542A-AA28-4AE3-9374-466FF1C7A7E2.jpeg

No bueno.

Those gears are trashed!! Was there oil in there?

Ya-Gears are shot. Looks like they were run low on oil, but regardless, you can't put them back in. Bearings likely trashed too. No big deal, just get it rebuilt. I can recommend @gearinstalls.com but you could get it rebuilt locally too.

Paging @Stumpalama
Still have the front diff for your parts 80?

Or maybe someone who regeared to 4.88s has the 4.10s sitting on a shelf? Ryan, what do you do with swapped out ring and pinion gears?

Those gears are trashed!! Was there oil in there?

Well, there was when I left Rausch Creek. But by the time I got to the Baltimore Beltway the drain plug was gone, the oil was sprayed across the undercarriage (a rust preventative!), and smoke was coming out of the drain hole.

So, I knew it was bad. I just didn’t know what bad looks like.

Thanks, everyone. I’m sure I’ll have more questions once a get a new diff or gears.

Or maybe someone who regeared to 4.88s has the 4.10s sitting on a shelf? Ryan, what do you do with swapped out ring and pinion gears?

Generally we toss the gears. They don't really set up well in new housings after they've been run for a lifetime in another housing. I keep the carriers around for when the pinion eats them but that's it.

i have an 80's diff in my shed from when I installed factory lockers. Good when I took it out. But, ahh, I can't remember if it is front or rear. i
'll check and let you know. if its what you need its yours

Here it is. Can some confirm this is a front. I think it is. There's a little sawdust in there but otherwise it looks really good. I think it has about 130k on it.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

Sure looks like a high pinion front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom