Real time STARTER help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of town Easter morning and 200 doesn't want to start. All accessories functioning. Will intermittently start....maybe every 4th try. Batt tested good. Seems to start more "consistently" with jumper cables hooked up to my 100 series and being rev'ed. Even switch batteries with no change. Any suggestions would be helpful in trouble shooting....trying to avoid a 100 mile tow to the stealership and still hunt Easter eggs with the kids.

sounds like your contacts in your starter are going bad...

Thanks, is that something you can take a metal brush to clean up corrosion? Or does that mean replacing the entire starter?

Haven't done them on the 200 series but all the other Toyotas i have owned i just pull the starter, remove the 3 bolts/screws to take off the small little plate and that will reveal the contacts. They are 2 small metal contacts that wear out(about 2 bucks at an electrical auto parts store). Pit in the new ones and your good to go! Thats my guess as to your problem based on what ya said is going on! Hope that helps. Heres a generic pic of what the contacts look like

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428270072.568067.jpg

Update:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428371412.745973.jpg

The realy $hitty part of this is that last fall I contemplated having the starter changed when I had to do the water pump, that would have saved $1,000.

So here is the take home lessons:

1) if your starter is going out it will only give you about 4 starts till its done.... Make one of them count towards getting to the shop.

2) if you have to replace a water pump, also replace the starter at the same time... and obviously vice a versa.

PM me if you are interested in having it shipped to you. This starter is no joke....probably weighs 20 lbs. I'll split the shipping cost if you want it.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1428439259.293822.jpg

How many miles? Is the starter that labor intensive to justify close to 1200?

132k miles. $580 for starter. Yes, getting to the damn thing looked to best be left to a mechanic from my end.

WC sent this starter to me for dissection. It suffered from the previously mentioned starter solenoid contact wear out. Again, as Kreiten shows above, earlier generations of Toyota starters could have this part rebuilt VERY inexpensively. This solenoid is not cheap, $100, part number 28150-38010... time to look for a better a piece to replace this with. I'll dig further into the starter and see if any other parts need improvement.

@bjowett, any progress on your end towards addressimg this?

Would simply replacing the solenoid be the ideal preventative measure?

I am pushing 170K miles and haven't experienced this, but would rather not have to if there's something preventative that can be done.

Last edited:
I'm at 150K miles.....started just died...luckily I was at my parents house, not out in town. still...not the Christmas present I was hoping for.

I can hear a metallic clunk, like the solenoid engaging, but no turn and the dash goes dark momentarily. is it possible there is a voltage regulator or other component that has gone bad?

thanks

Wow, was planning a trip to Big Bend with a group of 100's. This gets me a little concerned.
Anybody changed out their own starter in a 200?

starting to look like I will be....i'll try to document procedure and take pics along the way.

Ok cruiser experts, need help here. I was able to "Jumper" my old starter by connecting two leads of jumper cables to a long screwdriver touching the braided copper wire from the solenoid to the starter. it took a couple trys, but finally worked. If you are in a jam and get the dreaded starter,"Click" remove the heat shield and have someone push the starter button. when you hear the relay energize, clamp the jumpercable to the screwdriver and you can start the truck.

I purchased a rebuilt starter from Autozone ($155 vs dealer 356), worked on and off over the holiday weekend, probably 8 hrs total at a leisurely pace. replaced the starter. went for test drive, started a couple times no problem.
This morning go out to the truck to go to work.....no start. Dash goes dark, click, no turn over. Did check OBD codes, P335,340, 345,365,390
crank position sensor, cam position sensor, fuel...computer is not happy...
held test leads on battery while the Mrs. pushed the starter button. batter only dropped to 11.65v

my fear is bad starter from "the zone" cause it was a beeeeyotch to replace.

does anyone know of any other relay, fuse, or electrical connection that may be causing this?
Tundra forums mention a starter relay.
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...alast-relay-starter/953666_0_0/?checkfit=true

at $70 and questionable avialability, would like to get some feedback or experience on this issue.

@bjowett have any input on new bad starter or other causes?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom