real time seafoam/PCV question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to change my oil and have a can of seafoam on the workbench. My question is which side of the PCV do i actually suck the seafoam from? Do i detach the hose from the top of the valve cover and put it in the seafoam bottle, or do i detach the hose from the throttle body and suck the seafoam in from there?

thanks

Yo CJ:

Don't do it from the throttle body side because you want it to enter the throttle body to clean up the carbon deposits.

You can either take off the hose from the metal valve and put the hose end into a jar with Seafoam in it, or if you want, you can take out the metal valve and hose attached to the valve and clean the metal part as well as the hose.

Either way, you want to be careful to suck up the Seafoam slowly then turn the engine off. Then wait a few minutes and start up the rig...then GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!!!! LOTS OF SMOKE!!!!!

Your neighbors might think your rig is on fire....it filled up my whole street!!

Best.
-onur

I was advised to pour the seafoam (slowly) into the hose instead of using a hose to suction it, something about sucking it all into one cylinder at one time and a cylinder of non compressible fluid causing damage, don't know if that is really possible, but I didn't want to take any chances. There will be A LOT of smoke, tell your neighbors not to call the fire dept ;)

you can just suck the seafoam slowly in by just barely touching the surface of the liquid, it'll suck some air too but if not too much it'll keep on running IIRC and then the SF is atomized too better. Further more IIRC I did suck it through the PCV valve which is then cleaned as well....
Mine didn't smoke much at all, maybe cuz I had cleaned the TB before.
Didn't seem to make any difference in how my engine runs.

OK, thanks for the info. So, i will be litterally sucking the fluid into the valve cover?

I will remove the hose from the area pointed in the pic and allow it to slowly suck/pour into hose. The fluid will enter into the valvcover and move down. hope this is right.

Thanks,

EDIT: i guess i could just pull the hose and see which way it's sucking :doh:
pcv (Small) (2).jpg

Last edited:
concretejungle said:
OK, thanks for the info. So, i will be litterally sucking the fluid into the valve cover?

I think its the other way around. you detach the hose from the valve cover and suck the fluid in the throttle body

Well, scratch this idea until another day. THe hose and PCV grommet is brital and in pretty bad shape. If i go tugging on it, there is a good chance of damaging the hose and/or grommet. So i'll order the parts from cdan and do it another day.

CJ--

The hose you mentioned in the picture is not the end to do it from. Do it from the OTHER end of the PCV hose...you can do this without taking the valve out too...you can suck through just the hose...It still works that way.

-onur

concretejungle said:

I will remove the hose from the area pointed in the pic and allow it to slowly suck/pour into hose. The fluid will enter into the valvcover and move down. hope this is right.

Thanks,

EDIT: i guess i could just pull the hose and see which way it's sucking :doh:

it's the other way around dude! the point of the PCV is to suck oil vapors into the engine so they don't pollute... so it's gotta suck out of the valve cover into the TB, right...? :)

THanks fellas. Gotcha.

Beno, i'm affraid to even tug on that hose at all. I gave it a few good tugs and it feels as if it's stuck onto the pcv grommet fitting really tight. I took some hose pliers and it just started to crack. So i stopped. I'll get er' done next time.

You could use the vacuum hose for the brake booster. I cleaned my throttle body this past winter(had it off already), but never got around to seafoaming the motor. Just follow the hose that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold and disconnect it back at the brake booster. It's long enough to use as the suction hose as well. It may not be the most centralized port in the manifold, but I still got a TON of smoke afterwards and the cruiser runs a little bit better(still pings though under hard acceleration which is what I was trying to get rid of).

Ary

concretejungle said:
THanks fellas. Gotcha.

Beno, i'm affraid to even tug on that hose at all. I gave it a few good tugs and it feels as if it's stuck onto the pcv grommet fitting really tight. I took some hose pliers and it just started to crack. So i stopped. I'll get er' done next time.

plenty to read here on the dreaded grommet incidents and how to avoid them...

so how long is she gonna smoke? :D
seafoam 005 (Small).jpg

Mine did not smoke much and only for a minute or two. I had previously cleaned the throttle body. I let it sit 5-10 minutes as everyone else has descriped.

I spoke with someone who let it sit for a couple of hours (was not on an 80 or even a toyota IIRC).

Any issues with letting it sit for a long period of time such as a couple of hours?

I let it sit for 3 minutes then started it. It smoked (picture above). Shut it off after a couple minutes of idle and smoke. Let sit for over an hour then started it. Been smoking for about 5 minutes. I'll let her run a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom