real time question, how to remove front wheel bearing seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, folks. I am in the middle of repacking my front bearings and I am having trouble getting the old oil seal off the hub on the back side of the rotor? The writeup says to pry it out with a screwdriver but I am not sure how to do it without damaging anything. Do I wedge the screwdriver between the edge of the abs sensor teeth and the seal or put the screwdriver on the inside of the hub to try and pop it out?

Also I assume I need to remove the hub from the rotor to get the rotor turned?

Thanks guys!

You need a seal puller. That way you won't mess anything up.

Any competant shop should be able to turn a 100 series rotor with hub attached to it.

Good luck.

Thanks! Well, I went ahead and pulled the hub from the rotor, but I still need to get a seal puller. Do you think I can find one at autozone, should I just ask for a seal puller or do I need to be more specific?

Almost there!
Thanks again Onur!

I was also trying to determine how much grease to put in the hub but I still haven't found it yet, anybody know?

Thanks.

Yes, autozone will have it. Walk in and ask them for a seal puller....they will know what to give you. it should be about the length of a long screw driver and it will have two "j" style hooks on either end.

In terms of how much grease, you will see inside of the hub that it has a valley. That valley needs to be filled at least level with the area around it. The key to putting grease inside the hub is to build a "grease dam" to inhibit ingress of water and other sundry pieces of bad material.

If you plan on doing more work on your rig, I highly recommend getting a factory manual as well as some tools--seal pullers, good wrenches, good ratchets, good long and short metric 8mm-19mm 6 point sockets, and lots of other things.

Good luck.
-onur

Hey, thanks I got it done! To get roughly 9.5lbs of preload on the fish scale it took me 57ftlbs on the adjusting nut. 43 ftlbs was only like 5-6 or so lbs on the fisch scale. Been driving it around for about a week and no problems so far, and they do not seem to heat up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom