Real Time: pulling EGR pipe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've unscrewed the 36mm nut (thank you PB Blaster!) and the nuts at the exhaust manifold. But now I can't actually get the pipe out. I can't get it to either come off the studs or come out of the EGR cooler. I've yanked as hard as I can.

I'm going to either cut the pipe and pull off the ends or disconnect the EGR Cooler. I haven't figured out how the EGR cooler is attached yet. I have the wrong blade to cut the pipe. So I'm off to the store.

:beer: Chad

Remove the two 14mm bolts holding the EGR cooler to the engine. Once it's loose you'll be able to wiggle it around a bit and the pipe will come off easily.

The flange was warped and the gasket blown. Unfortunately, SOR sent me a pipe that was too short so I had to just put in a new gasket with the old warped pipe. I need to get a new pipe that doesn't have the flange warped.

P3220028.jpg

I have replaced the gasket about once per year since I bought the 60 5 years ago. It needs to be replaced now.

I was looking at the gaskets and the bolt spacing, and it looks like an 80 series O2 sensor gasket is the same size. Anyone tried that to get a better and longer lasting seal?

I have replaced the gasket about once per year since I bought the 60 5 years ago. It needs to be replaced now.

I was looking at the gaskets and the bolt spacing, and it looks like an 80 series O2 sensor gasket is the same size. Anyone tried that to get a better and longer lasting seal?

Is that with a new pipe as well? I don't expect my gasket to last long but that is because the flange is warped.

I just bought a OEM EGR gasket from $OR and it's much thicker than the kevalar gasket I bought from them a year ago. Hopefully it'll holdup better than the kevalar gasket.

I don't expect my gasket to last long but that is because the flange is warped.

Exactly. The SOR flange is much better; more like the flange on older 2Fs. Why not just lenghten the SOR pipe by cutting it and welding in a piece of tube? If you don't have a welder, a mufflier shop will do that job for a minimum charge.

Exactly. The SOR flange is much better; more like the flange on older 2Fs. Why not just lenghten the SOR pipe by cutting it and welding in a piece of tube? If you don't have a welder, a mufflier shop will do that job for a minimum charge.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I was going to send the pipe back to SOR but now I am going to try and just lengthen it. Especially the more and more I hear about recurring problems with the gasket.

Seems like the real culprit in the never ending cycle of burn t EGR gaskets is the thin flange. Would it be very hard to have a machine shop fab a heavy duty flange and weld it into place on your original pipe? What would work, 1/4" - 3/8" mild steel?

Especially the more and more I hear about recurring problems with the gasket.

I also wrapped a piece of glass fiber wood stove door seal around the piece that sticks into the manifold on my fj40. It has lasted 12 years with the OEM gasket. the 40 tube has a 3/16 inch welded flange. I have no idea if this did anything; maybe I just got lucky.

did you try using the egr pipe that you say is to short? mines been cut and is short enough to pull out withour removinig the cooler

did you try using the egr pipe that you say is to short? mines been cut and is short enough to pull out withour removinig the cooler

I connected it on the exhaust side. When I went to put it into the cooler, it didn't reach. Didn't know how to connect it with the nut and ferrule if it doesn't go inside the cooler.

P3220033_sm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom