Real time parking brake help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
I'm currently replacing the transfer case rear seal, with 2 seals. When I removed the rear drive shaft, the parking brake nut fell on the floor :doh:and there was no shim on the shaft. What is the thickness of the shim? Is there a trick I need to know when I reassemble? How do I keep the nut from backing off ( Locktite? ) I checked the FSM, but not much help was attained.
Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!!!

You should have a stake nut on the back of the t-case. Tightn it down a hit the side of the nut with a chisel to press it into the groove on the output shaft. Sorry cant tell you the thickness of the shim/washer, parking brake whent back together yesterday :meh:

Check with Kurt @ cruiseroutfitters he has those and I used red locktight on mine per Poser's recommendation in another thread. I also put some rtv on the back side of the shim also Poser's idea to help seal and I also installed 2 seals.

Check the back of the parking brake drum thats where I found it, last time I thought I lost It the one.. the shim I have is about about 1/8" or 4mm thick I don't have anything more than a steel ruler to measure right now.

1. A properly staked nut is not likely to fall off in the first place.

2. It is highly unlikely that the washer you put in there will be exactly the same thickness as the one that was in there before, so...

3. It is more than likely that the stakenut will lock down on a part of the nut that has not been staked before.

IOW, you can prolly reuse the nut you have.

Best

Mark A.

this is not a shim, it is a retaining washer that goes under the nut I have a new one if you need it, the shim goes behind the speedo gear spacer, on the out put shaft. If you have any questions or need further help I will be glad to assist you in anyway I can. Here are some pic, I hope this helps.

lee
for sale 016.jpg

for sale 018.jpg

for sale 019.jpg
for sale 016.jpg
for sale 018.jpg
for sale 019.jpg

For those of you who don't know how to read a caliper..

First photo is 3/16"

Second photo is just shy of 1.5" (1" 31/64)

oops! I hit the wrong button...
My4x4FJ40... Thank you for the pictures! I now realize I have the shim and a relatively new stake nut, however, I am missing the washer. This may be a stupid question, but does the thickness matter. Can I us a generic washer?

I milled the housing with a boring bar and pressed in two seals. The outer seal is flush with the housing. Is this correct or should it go in a bit further?

thanks again!!!

Anvill,

No the thickness does not need to be exact, but a thicker washer will keep better pressure on it before it starts to deform upon tightening to specs. And 2 seals with the outer flush is correct! Be-sure to put grease on the seal surface.lol:cheers:

lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom