Real time, no spark!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just broke down, had a buddy tow me home. i have fuel and air, but now no spark, was runing fine all day but just went dead. it turn over fine, full battery, no spark!. i have 12 volts to the coil, and it reads 12 volts from off the coil wire, distributor looks fine, points good. i checked and i cant get a spark on the block from plug wires, or the coil wire. well im not sure now what it could be, a bad coil? howcan i tell for sure.

Well if the diz is turning and the points are opening and closing, the wire going from the points to the coil is good, and you have 12 V to the coil but nothing coming out then I'd say it's the coil. You did confirm that the diz is turning while cranking right?

the diz is turning, and i am getting 12v to and from the coil. but i thought that i was suppoest to get like much much mire from the coil. if not then how do i check the condeser? thanks

tested it with a new coil, still no spark! i have 12v comming from starter to External Resister and from ER to coil. also have 12v comming from igniton switch, and even when cranking. srtill i cant get coil wire to spark on block??!?!?!? even with a new coil! any idea's im lost.

perhaps its my condenser????? i pulled mine out and it is a nippondenso 0.22, it doesnt look like the one shucks had for a 71 fj40. could this be an after market dizzy? if so, im not sure the 10 year old working at schucks will be able to find me the right one.

Staple;

Is the distributor original toyota? My guess is the points are not opening; which means the cam block on the points is worn, which means you need to readjust the points to 0.018 inches. The points could be burned out and not making good contact. Clean with fine sand paper or similar. then replace at first opportunity.

How old are the spark plug wires? It's rare that a coil goes bad in a standard Kettering ignition system. The points wear out (Cam Block) or the spark plug wires are crap. Standard carbon fiber spark plug wires don't last very long, are yours original?

For some basics see:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom