Real time injector question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my other thread, here. Gotta give an answer to the mechanic in 45 minutes.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Sorry...AFAIK no one else has experienced failed injector(s). Aside from that...whether you replace more than one depends on: How long you plan to keep it and where/how you use it. FYI: I just replaced the starter on my '99 even though it was working perfectly: I plan to keep the rig for years and did so as a preventative maintenance strategy that hopefully will make it less likely to fail when I'm out in the middle of nowhere which I do fairly often with my LC.

Sorry...AFAIK no one else has experienced failed injector(s). Aside from that...whether you replace more than one depends on: How long you plan to keep it and where/how you use it. FYI: I just replaced the starter on my '99 even though it was working perfectly: I plan to keep the rig for years and did so as a preventative maintenance strategy that hopefully will make it less likely to fail when I'm out in the middle of nowhere which I do fairly often with my LC.

Good advice. I'm going to keep it for at least 5-10 years, so it's worth fixing right (just converted to synthetics, replaced plugs, etc). I'm just stumped by this because I really don't hear about injector failures on these things.

Good advice. I'm going to keep it for at least 5-10 years, so it's worth fixing right (just converted to synthetics, replaced plugs, etc). I'm just stumped by this because I really don't hear about injector failures on these things.

Did the mechanic offer up an opinion regarding why the injector failed? And whether or not he/she thought it was unusual?

spressomon
Did you relace your starter yourself or have the dealer do it? If the dealer did it, what was the tab, if you don't mind my asking? I'm getting paranoid about mine but am reluctant to undertake that task.

spressomon
Did you relace your starter yourself or have the dealer do it? If the dealer did it, what was the tab, if you don't mind my asking? I'm getting paranoid about mine but am reluctant to undertake that task.

I the job myself when I had it apart for the 90K (it has 100k on it...performed without flaw; however with everyone posting starter issues at 90-100k I decided to be safe). I plan to do a write up with pics on the starter job.

Replacing the starter is alot easier IMO than the t-belt job. I think I remember somebody stating they paid $300 labor for the starter job (plus starter and gaskets).

See CDan or SINCITY100 for Toyota parts deals.

Thanks. I'm at 120K and starting to replace things. Dealer did T-belt but I'm trying to do the rest. I'm gambling with the water pump as I've only seen one go out in my life and it gave plenty warning. Famous last words.

Thanks. I'm at 120K and starting to replace things. Dealer did T-belt but I'm trying to do the rest. I'm gambling with the water pump as I've only seen one go out in my life and it gave plenty warning. Famous last words.

FWIW: My water pump at 100K was not leaking at all...however the bearing was not smooth...so it was just a matter of time for me anyway as it turned out. And the bearing on my fan bracket was not smooth either (although I had to replace the fan bracket for other reasons).

I'll keep an eye on mine. Hard to justify the money to the wife when the car still runs flawlessly. However, she has no trouble getting help when standed.

Thanks!

Sorry, cutoff at work - just saw this.

Injector failures are not common but I have probably put one a year in. It happens. I usually only do one at a time. Your call on the rest. If you do them all I would recommend replacing the fuel filter. Only thing between the tank and injectors.:rolleyes:

If you do them all I would recommend replacing the fuel filter. Only thing between the tank and injectors.:rolleyes:

Could this have been designed a better way?

Also do the Fuel filters need replaced ? Interval?

Thanks

Could this have been designed a better way?

Also do the Fuel filters need replaced ? Interval?

Thanks

Pretty much the way every car on the road is designed. The toyota fuel filters filter down to 4 microns, not likely anything got past but rather cheap insurance with injectors $170 ea X 8.

Toyota has never posted an interval that I know of. Usually every 60 is what I do and recommend. Never seen one plugged.

As far as the injectors, I've replaced just the bad one and have yet to see one comeback with another or multiple failures.

Pretty much the way every car on the road is designed. The toyota fuel filters filter down to 4 microns, not likely anything got past but rather cheap insurance with injectors $170 ea X 8.

Toyota has never posted an interval that I know of. Usually every 60 is what I do and recommend. Never seen one plugged.

As far as the injectors, I've replaced just the bad one and have yet to see one comeback with another or multiple failures.

Good to know. I actually just had the fuel filter replaced last month at the 90K, and now I'm wondering if that didn't stir something up that fouled the injectors. :confused: Is that possible?

I'm replacing all of them, because the labor is the same (3 hours) for one or all. I just did #7, and it kept throwing codes from 1,2,5, and 8 at different times. I can't afford the labor to keep doing these piecemeal. I'm certain that #7 was bad (replaced) and #8 was bad, discovered only after #7. With that, and the misfires in 1,2, and 5, it makes more sense to me to just go ahead with the whole thing.

Ben, do you think there is any benefit to having the injectors removed and cleaned at 100k miles? If not, then when? I realize it depends on fuel quality and contaminents.

Doc,
Reading about how rare it is for the injectors to go bad, it does sound a bit suspicious to me that that this started after the fuel filter was replaced. I would ask them to take a look at the fuel filter to see if there is something blatantly wrong with the recent install.
Just my $0.02 .

Good luck. Hopefully, it does not empty your pockets further.

Good to know. I actually just had the fuel filter replaced last month at the 90K, and now I'm wondering if that didn't stir something up that fouled the injectors. :confused: Is that possible?

I'm replacing all of them, because the labor is the same (3 hours) for one or all. I just did #7, and it kept throwing codes from 1,2,5, and 8 at different times. I can't afford the labor to keep doing these piecemeal. I'm certain that #7 was bad (replaced) and #8 was bad, discovered only after #7. With that, and the misfires in 1,2, and 5, it makes more sense to me to just go ahead with the whole thing.

Ben, do you think there is any benefit to having the injectors removed and cleaned at 100k miles? If not, then when? I realize it depends on fuel quality and contaminents.

I don't think it would hurt anything. The spray pattern does get a little screwed up with age/mileage 100 is a nice round number. I've got 165 and I was going to pull them and have them cleaned and balanced just because of mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom