1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Time Help!!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by kptfj60, Feb 28, 2007.

1. kptfj60

kptfj60

This weekend I put in a new fuel pump. Everything went fine. The truck started right up and has been running fine. This morning I go out to go to work and she starts up and then dies out. There is no fuel in the carb window. Here are two things;
    1-the truck is just about on empty, my initial thought was that it was out of gas so I went down and got 1 1/2 gallons of gas. Still no gas in carb window. Would this be enough?
    2-there is a slight leak of oil coming from the fuel pump. probably just needs to be tightened. I'm very nervous of overtightening & stripping so usually don't really crank on something. will tighten

Is there anything I should be looking for? Thanks
    The pump is brand new
    Matt

2. Dirtgypsy

Dirtgypsy

fuel filter would be my first guess. new pump plus low gas tank might break loose sediment in the bottom and suck it into the line. good luck

clint

3. cruiserhunter

cruiserhunter

Austin, TX until 8/04 then Chicago, IL until 6/11
    I'm not so gifted, but I'm sure those smarter than me will chim in.

1.Did you replace your fuel filter? I would look to see if there is gas getting through that sucker. I Had that problem a couple of years ago.

2.Are you suer you got the right pump?

3. Did you use RTV to seal the gasket?

Good luck sorry If everything I said was useless

Patrick

4. kptfj60

kptfj60

Fuel filter replaced, fuel is in there but no motion when trying to start
    ordered from ccot for correct vehicle & year, new one looks exactly like old one
    No RTV (?) only used gaskets that came with it.

5. kptfj60

kptfj60

Pulled off the gas line from the filter and while trying to start felt for suction. nothing. Luckily still had the old fuel pump that was working but old. Pulled off the new and put back on the old. Works fine now.
    The new pump lever was broken. Any ideas what could cause this? When I put the new one in I had tried to flex the lever and with all my might couldn't get it to budge. Having never done this before I figure it was supposed to be like this. It isn't is it. I do remember noting that when the new one was running it looked like the whole thing was flexing tremendously. I couldn't remember what the old one even did so I figured that this was also fine. I'll be calling ccot. Thanks for the help!