Real time help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SFROMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
ok guys so I went to gas up and when I went to start truck again all I got was a click.
I hit the starter and nothing.

Replaced fusible links (spares I carry) tried jumping it with a starter pack ( battery pack says the batteries are good)

Hot starter agin after around 20 min and then truck started back up.

Drive back to Vegas and picked up a starter. Replaced starter and nothing. I no longer get a click or nothing. It won’t crank over or anything. The dash lights up but nothing as far as the engine is concerned.

I tried hitting the new starter just in case and nothing.

I tried jumping it with starter pack and nothing.

Going to check fuses now.

Any help and or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Of the "big 3" Alternator, Battery and Starter, it sounds most-like the alternator to me: No clicking at start up, appears dead.

I had a similar situation on my FJ62 in Chicago - but battery kept going down, also, if I remember correctly.

For stuffs and grins, try opening the fuel tank and look for excessive pressure - never really heard of a vapor lock, but . .

Last edited:
Similar situation happened to me and it was the main battery ground

You have already checked your situation with a multimeter?

• battery should be around 12.5v
  • attempt to turn on your truck - if a load is present it will drop your voltage to ~10v - if it is much lower or goes down as you crank, you have a battery issue
  • if you get it started, your alternator should raise your readings to 13.0v+ up to 14+volts. If below 12.5v or whatever your battery was at when you started, then you likely have an alternator issue
  • also need to check all your connections for loose ends
  • can also be a loose belt on your alternator

Similar situation happened to me and it was the main battery ground

Reminds me - my neighbor was having similar starting issues - his battery was DISGUSTING - terminals were corroded beyond belief. We tested the battery under load and it dropped to like 9.2v

Grounds might be where I'd start too. Next checking for power at the starter main wire (corrosion, broken?), then at the solenoid when it cranks. I'm guessing no power to the solenoid when it cranks by no click which points you back to fusible links, wires to/from ignition etc.

How does everything look when you turn the key to ignition? lights bright, normal dash lights on/off, radio and A/C working? old alarm with starter disable?

Hopefully some others will chime in with more/better answers.

Original alarm was removed a few years ago and replaced with aftermarket one.

Fusible link was replaced with new one.

All connections on the battery are nice and tight and clean.

All fuses are good.

Replaced the started with an autozone one. But the Toyota one looks great.

Battery tests out at 12.7 with the test function of my starter pack

Truck won’t start with starter pack connected to starter battery

All lights and dash work perfectly fine and light up on the on position

The one thing I will be trying tomorrow is to try to jump the small wire (ignition wire) with the lug wire (battery wire) on the starter. When I replaced the starter it was the only wire that look iffy to me. Every thing else looks good. (I didn’t check grounds because it got too dark) I will check and clean those tomorrow as well.

Yep, sounds like the solenoid isn't getting power when it's time to start. Checking power there when the key is turned and trying to jump those are were I'd go too.
Good luck and I'll be checking back in the morning to hear how you got it started and running like new. :cheers: and Merry Christmas.

You have a small wire that goes to starter. See if whenyou turn the key you are getting power there. If not there is something out of the starter. You can jump from the big positive wire to the small wire on the starter and it should turn. ( make sure truck is on park). It could be your transmission switch too. But the first thing i will do is make sure where your problem is and isolate it. The truck will start with the jumper if the switch is on the on position and you use the jumper. If ot doesn’t turn the engine your problem is on the starter. Good luck. ( take the jumper off once it starts).

You have a small wire that goes to starter. See if whenyou turn the key you are getting power there. If not there is something out of the starter. You can jump from the big positive wire to the small wire on the starter and it should turn. ( make sure truck is on park). It could be your transmission switch too. But the first thing i will do is make sure where your problem is and isolate it. The truck will start with the jumper if the switch is on the on position and you use the jumper. If ot doesn’t turn the engine your problem is on the starter. Good luck. ( take the jumper off once it starts).
^This! I have a corrosion or ground issue that I can't find. I added a switch to the dashboard for a manual start. One line directly to the battery (with a fusible link), the other was spliced in to the wire on the starter. When I get the "click", I just put the key in the on position and flip the switch. Never fails.

where did you get the starter from? i have seen several duds from the corner box stores.

try tapping the side of the starter then hit the key.

Unfortunately I had to get the starter from autozone. The TOYOTA starter looks fine. I haven’t been back out to the truck this morning but was I do I will report back to see what I find.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Do you still have the old starter? If so, I suggest hot wire it while it is out of the vehicle to verify function and work backwards from there ....

Should the power wire coming from the battery to the starter be a live wire?

I don’t think I am getting power from the wire coming from the battery. I don’t have a tester and everything is closed. I am going to test the old starter right now.

yes, the large cable on the starter goes to the + on the battery. it should be live.

Attachments

• startign.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 39
Should the power wire coming from the battery to the starter be a live wire?

I don’t think I am getting power from the wire coming from the battery. I don’t have a tester and everything is closed. I am going to test the old starter right now.

Yes .... there should be constant voltage to the starter terminal. A 12 Volt signal to the small terminal on the starter solenoid should then engage the starter.

You should have constant power to the big wire. The small wire has power only when key is turn to start. Get a bulb and put a wire on the side of it. Get the wire to ground and the bottom end to the place you want to know if it is power. That will be your new voltmeter.

Ok.

Double checked current from the battery cable on starter in truck and it is live and it sparked

Hot wired old Toyota starter- it works flawlessly

Hot wired the starter with a wire straight from the battery to the ignition connector on starter and it cranks the starter.

So it is back to the ignition wire. It is the only thing not working. At this point

Hot wired the truck and the truck starts so the new autozone starter does work.

I think we have concluded that it is the ignition switch.

Once the truck was running i killed it by switching the ignition from ON to START.

i don’t know if it is the ignition but I am going to start driving the truck as is (hot wiring it when I need to get it started until at least tomorrow when every thing is open and I can get the parts I need.

there is a neutral safety switch on the shifter. try starting it in neutral. the selector indent in the park position could be a little out of adjustment.

I tried starting it in all positions starting from park to low.

I also tried starting it with the 2nd switch and nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom