Real Time Help - Truck stalling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am also thinking 'air leak' in your fuel line somewhere. If so it will be hard to ID. I would crawl underneath and look over every fuel line hose and clamp. Do you have any fuel filters other than the OEM filter ?

Thanks, John

This sounds similar to what I just experienced. I had an intermittent stalling and stumbling problem that had me frustrated for three months and looking at ignition, chasing possible vacuum leaks and fuel lines..

Sometimes my truck would stall then I would have a strong gas odor. I could get it to run with the choke on or high throttle but would die off when choke was off. I checked the pump and fuel delivery by cranking with the fuel line off at the carb and into a jar and it seemed squirt OK and fill the jar in even pumps... I finally took it to a local land cruiser mechanic and they were puzzled after testing it for a day, finally they swapped the six month old mechanical fuel pump for an electric pump and it ran great, put the mechanical back on and it stalled under throttle, examined it up close and it had a pin hole leak in the side of the body. It was aftermarket junk the previous owner's mechanic put on not long before I bought the LC. I have a new mechanical pump and it's running great and no gas odor in the cabin...

I suspected the fuel pump, but since it was relatively new and seemed to pump fuel OK when I checked I went three months looking at other systems:bang: Worth taking a close look at it.

Thanks orbittron, that sounds like good advice to me. I'll take a look there. Also sounds similar to John McVicker's diagnosis.

John McVicker, was just up in your area on the way back south from Mammoth. Beautiful county you live in. Also just signed up for the Whitney lottery and am hoping I get to summit this summer.

Thanks all!

Yep, Eastern Sierra is pretty country.

Your problem could also be a weak fuel pump.

Found an old post from Jim C. which helped me diagnose/solve a similar problem. These #'s are for my stock fuel pump on my 2f 40...don't know for sure if the #'s are the same for a 60...but weak fuel pump was part of my problem & this is how Jim C. said to diagnose it :

Connect vac gage to inlet side - Crank engine - should see 8-10 in of vacuum.
Connect to outlet side - should see 3-4 psi.

Good luck, John

Loaded it up on the truck this morning and sent it off to K&H. Hoping to hear back with some results in the next couple days.

On another note, is it just me or does a 60 even look cool on a flatbed??

image-4064514712.jpg

image-146942695.jpg

image-3906028138.jpg

Oh, and AAA took 2 freakin hours this morning!!

image-4064514712.jpg

image-146942695.jpg

image-3906028138.jpg

Picking up my 60 from K&H this afternoon. New fuel pump, carb opened up and cleaned out (apparently it was full o crap), fuel lines blown out, new filter as well, exhaust leak (manifold) fixed and valves readjusted. Richard says it's running like a dream!! Can't wait to take it for a spin!

Good news...congratulations !

Thanks< John

Just to close this loop, Richard did an amazing job getting my cruiser back in order. In short, some dirt in the carb was the main issue.

This rig runs amazing now and I think that my mileage has also improved quite a bit. Running a full tank and will report back if my mileage is better than expected.

:cheers::clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom